Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 10 months ago

I don’t know what to think of this driving, someone help me out!?

So, obviously, while traveling on the interstate, the left lane is supposed to be known as the “passing lane.” I live very close to the MN. With the holidays and out shopping, I use the highway as my get from point A to Z. But a lot from MN like to travel in both the right and left lane driving at the same pace. Example: speed limit is 55, they are driving 55 in the passing lane. This happened to me twice. Instead of honking or flipping the birdie, I really don’t like to engage in road rage, instead, I’ll be the bigger adult and pass them in the right lane since I don’t want to travel below the speed limit. But twice this has happened from two people with license plates to MN - if they are driving in the left lane and I pass them in the right, what they both did was get into the right lane right behind and continually flash me their bright lanes. That’s fine. But then both got over, mind you two different people, and they will get into the left lane and try to run me off the road.  I said screw it, I’m gonna deal with you thinking you own the d*** road. So, twice this week, the exit I got off, one was able to keep up with me while the other lost one. The guy who followed me and kept up my was yelling in his car and I’m like alright, about to dial 9-1-1. Nothing came about it cause I turned and he turned opposite ways and I lost him. I’m not sure what it is - people having mental issues, taking their personal lives out on me, or just thinking they own the road. Idk. 

Same has happened to me.  I don't know why people have nothing else to do in that situation.  Ignoring them or getting away is the best thing to do.  Most people should be concerned about getting from point a to b while driving.  You did nothing wrong but in the end you don't want to have to go to court or risk damaging your car or life dealing with crazy assholes.

• Edna

You have a point, when you're driving on the interstate and it's passing through open countryside. But when you're driving on a congested interstate while it's passing through a large city, you can expect that drivers in all lanes will all be traveling bumper-to-bumper at a high rate of speed.

Go down to Houston some time and see how people drive on (for instance, I-45 North or South) as it's passing through Houston. Drivers in all lanes on both sides of the interstate (north or south) are clipping along at 75 mph. There is no "passing lane". If you're smart, you'll get into a lane and stay in it and keep up with the flow of traffic; and God help you if you miss your exit.  

Look at the condition the whole country is in and the answer will be clear. There are lots and lots of stupid people out and about. Crossing Oregon, the passing lane is law and drivers mostly abide by that. In California it isn't law and more times than not I encounter jackasses who hog the left lane snailing along and tying up traffic that needs to pass and clear the obstruction. I used to ride a motorcycle and split the lane whenever I could safely, especially to get past the dunces who ride abreast at 50 mph on the 65 mph freeway and hold everyone back. I wish they'd all get hauled into traffic school and taught how to drive and if they do it again, have their license suspended.

It is a GREAT idea to purchase dash cameras for the front and rear of your car. I have 2 cameras. What is happening is that there are MANY, MANY people out there with what is known as CLUSTER B personality disorders. No Cure. Plus many people are on drugs, alcohol and worse yet, prescription poisons. Ignore them and just record all actions. They TRY to get you to react to them. Do not engage, EVER. www.breggin.com

Mokrie does have a point, but that does not excuse the two drivers to perform reckless behavior onto another driver - and intentionally, what they did was wrong, illegal and harmful. If that occurs again, regardless whoever is at first, copy down the license plate number and immediately contact the police. I cannot believe no one else reported it, no wait, I can. Drivers are crazy and you will be surprised how many "follow" the example of another driver (look at my recent car question on my profile), but I have a feeling that the two drivers who knew each other, I seriously doubt two random, unconnected people who both pull off something like that. I believe that these two drivers will pull off behavior such as this again, and if so, hopefully next time they will be caught. I am so sorry this happened to you, and I am so glad you are alright.

Source(s): Something very similar happened to me
  • Scott

If the speed limit is posted 55 MPH where I live, people are driving 65 + MPH. I guess Minnesotans must obey the law better than they do here.

I don't think there are a lot of drivers who are driving 55 in any lane where the speed limit is 55. I see very few cars going under 59 where the speed limit is 55, except when traffic is so bad that no one can go over 54.

If you're really seeing a lot of cars driving the same speed as you when your speedometer says you're going exactly the speed limit, then get your speedometer checked.

• mokrie

They are trying to tell you that what your doing is WRONG and DANGEROUS. If 55 is the limit then no one can or should go faster and pass. Passing on the right is illegal and people have gotten killed in accidents that way. If a cop sees you passing on the right you WILL get stopped and ticketed and have to pay a fine. Your driving is in need of more training.