Let's just SAY the paranormal (ghost, demons, cryptids etc) are real. Just SAY. what would be the implications in physics as we know of?

I'm not going into the debate of whether or not they actually are. I'm writing a fictional story, and I wanted a mathematically sound explanation. What would be the effects of the existence of the paranormal regarding the physical theorems we know and love?

Favorite Answer

Interesting question...  There are many ways to approach this from conventional physics.  Obviously, coming up with the scientific rationale for a ghost would involve some new theorems or extensions of old ones.  You could look into quantum mechanics for example, and come up with an explanation.  String theory is another place to look.  String theory claims, among other things, that matter is really energy.  If energy matter, it can be ghosts or spirits as well.

I hope that gives you a start at least.

• wilds_of_virginia

Sad:  I was pointing out the behavior of photons as an example of weird.  I believe time itself becomes fluid in the quantum world.  Currently, there is nothing in the realm of physics which justifies the existence of ghosts and spirits.  Pseudoscience is all you have. 

• Tom
    1 week ago

It would tell us WHICH Physics Theories are the correct ones that explain "the Standard Model"----As there are several Advanced Physics theories out there---Some involve parallel Universes, unstable time space, etc. Which CAN explain so called "paranormal entities" and events quite well.

If a paranormal phenomenon were found that was precise and repeatable, physicists would study it and do experiments. They would develop a mathematical equation to describe the phenomenon. Then maybe they would invent a theory to explain it.

After that, the phenomenon would no longer be paranormal. It would be normal.

Our theories a generally one sided and not quantitative enough to be considered actual fact. Each decade disproves the last. We are constantly learning and searching for truth. Things to be measured are limited by the devices used to measure them. This prevents a clear line of truth.

• Dr. NG

The beauty of a fictional story is you make it up. A mathematically sound explanation for anything paranormal is impossible. It's like explaining the physics behind Superman's x-ray vision. The best you can do, and many do it very well, is craft something sciency sounding to fit the tale. 

Now I admit to not believing in the paranormal, I find it silly to be honest. That said I'm willing to suspend all that for a well-written tale of ghosts, demons, zombies or anything along those lines. 

What I'm saying is don't worry about the physics being accurate. Using your imagination and make it sound accurate.

• Dr. NG

I wouldn't call it change to Physics, more new information not yet understood. However, sure dark matter, anti-matter or different dimensions could be woven into a fictional tale. Like I said make up a sciency sounding story line and run with it. That's how fiction works.

Well, the implications would be the existence of scientific data.  

In order to prove the existence of ghosts and find out exactly what they're made of and how they work, someone would have to bring a real live ghost into a controlled environment and study it.  Same deal with a bigfoot or a nessie or a whatever.

Maybe it would throw the disciplines of physics, biology and medicine on their butts, or maybe these creatures would completely fit in with science as we know it.  Or maybe a mix of the two, which is nothing unusual.  Science is still a very young science, and there's still lots of research being done.  Doing research confirms that they haven't found all the answers yet.

• Sad2 months agoReport

For once, I know that Bigfoot is just a significantly smart ape.