Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Did I act out of line while dealing with this customer at my job?

One time at work I asked an elderly man who was walking with a cane if he would like to have an electric cart or a shopping cart, his response was "PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE!" in a mean, angry tone, I just casually thanked him for coming to our store and told him to go have a nice day, another customer witnessed it and he was shocked and appalled by the elderly man's behavior.

I even asked the second customer if I was being a jerk towards the elderly customer, the second customer told me he was the one who was being a jerk towards me because he thought I had nothing but good intentions for him by going out of my way to assist him, then I told the second customer that I agreed with him.

It's not the first time I had problems with the elderly man because he has a very short temper, I wish there was something I can do to make the elderly man happy because he is one of our regular customers.

Favorite Answer

Of course, you weren't out of line.  Having a cane doesn't give someone the right to act like a jerk.   With that said, I think you might have been trying too hard.  If your store didn't train you in how to handle handicapped people, or disabled ones,  this is on them.

The bottom line is disabled people generally don't like drawing attention to themselves.  The best way to handle it is greet them and then make hard eye contact. If they need something, this is the perfect time for them to ask.  They don't have to chase someone down or yell or whatever.  If they don't respond to your eye contact, then they don't want any help. 

What you are doing wrong is persistently posting about situations where you have thoughtlessly over-stepped a line with a customer, then exaggerated what happened afterwards.

Look, the man has made it plain in the past that you irritate him. Frankly you irritate me too with your history of these 'I try so hard to be helpful but people hate me for it' questions.

When you see him, smile, say 'Good morning', but leave the man alone.

And why did you tell us about discussing the man with another customer, and THEN tell us you made that up?Clearly you have some form of minor mental difficulty and I don't want to be offensive to you, but you need to try much, much harder not to push yourself onto customers who are managing well without you. It's great that you want to help, but most people are capable of ASKING when they do.

• denise

Just leave him to his shopping, some people are 'fiercely' independant.

You asked the man a question and he gave an answer. you were doing your job trying to make his shopping experience a good one. Never forget that it takes all kinds of people to make the world go round. You may not be able to please everyone and thats okay!  

i dont think you did anything wrong

you did nothing wrong. several years ago, I was in Walmart shopping with my adult son and daughter. a man was in a electric chair that he owned and he had the nerve to tell me and my children to move out of his way and if I did not move fast enough, he was going to run me over. every aisle that I was in, he did the same thing to me and my children. he was a senior citizen, but so am I a senior citizen. some seniors have no manners and just smile and go about your job. I was reading some of the answers and they are unreal 

Yes you were out of line with BOTH customers.

You were socially awkward and insulted the first one.   And then you were horribly unprofessional by discussing the encounter with another customer.

The man has told you point-blank to leave him alone.  Gosh, I wonder why you keep having problems with him.

Are you always this dense?   I can only hope your question is fake because you have no business working in customer service. 

• Cogito

If he'd wanted or needed an electric cart he'd have asked for one.

You must have sounded really patronising - even insulting.

You can make him happy by letting him get on with his shopping and not treating him like he's incapable.

No, you behaved properly, but the elderly man may have been experiencing chronic pain and didn't feel like also having to deal with an intruding goody-two-shoes. Yes, your motives were pure, but you have no idea how tough it can be to live with constant pain -- especially now, with the war on drugs and doctors deathly afraid to write a necessary prescription for adequate pain relievers. I remind you that the man did say "Please..." and didn't curse at you. The chances are that he was doing the best he can and needs your patient understanding more than your unwanted help.

There is something you can do. You can honor his request and leave him alone!