Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 2 months ago

Is it a bad idea for two 16-year-olds to drive 10 hours?

There's a summer camp that me and my friend would like to counsel at. However, it is 10 hours away from where we live. Her parents are okay with it and mine are as well. But I'm still a little scared. She's a decent driver, but having her in complete control of my life for 10 hours scares me a bit.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

no its not its okay 100%

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

You MUST take frequent breaks every couple of hours to exercise the legs and get blood flow going. Why can't you drive as well? If it scares you to trust her for ten hours then maybe you need to reevaluate your friendship

• 2 months ago

This might be irrelevant, but it also depends on her driving habits. If she's on her phone at all, the chances of an accident is extremely high.

• 2 months ago

why not take turns?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

As long as she doesn't fall asleep she should be alright. If the driving becomes too difficult, you should take over. It is better to get a break now and then. Take frequent stops for snacks and rest.

• 2 months ago

Maybe there's another way to get there besides driving? Maybe take a bus most of the way and have someone from the camp meet you at the bus station?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Passenger with a 16 yo girl driving?  NEVER!

Take the bus or train - and it will be more fun ;-)

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Technically it's illegal at 16 years of age to cross state lines without written permission from your parents and only when you have an adult in charge. If you get pulled over by the police, they will take you into protective custody as a minor and your parents will be forced to come pick you up. If the 10 hour drive doesn't leave your home state it may be OK. Provisional drivers license rules vary from state to state so you'll also have to research that before planning such a trip.

• 2 months ago

A  ten hour drive  non stop?  Really

Some law require it all be done in one day.

Did you plan any food, fuel or toilet breaks?

Great story doubtful it will happen.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

IMO ten hours is a long time for an inexperienced teenage driver to drive.  

Why not bus, train or fly?

Do either of you know how to change a flat tire?   What will you do if the car breaks down?   Even good drivers can hit a deer and total their car.    Music, passengers...all distractions.    Ten hours is a long time to sit still and concentrate.  Ever taken math for ten hours straight?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.