Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Am I right to be mad at my dad for suggesting I put my cat to sleep?

So, my cat just turned 15, and was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I'm nervous, because I'm going to have to give him meds everyday for the rest of his life and take him to the vet twice a year, maybe more. I was talking to my dad about it, and he nonchalantly said (why dont you just put him down? I was kind of waiting to see if he was serious or not, but he was. I havnt had the cat for very long. I adopted it from a friend who was moving, so I dont have much of a bond with the cat, but I would feel like **** putting it down for that reason. My dad just said it sounds like a pain I the as. He said that my grandpa use to have his old pets euthanized when they got sick, and that people these days treat animals to much like people. I agree that some people do treat animals too much like humans, but I disagree about putting an animal down just because it's old and I'll. It was in the 60, and 70s, when my grandpa did that stuff, and times have changed. I just think my dad is incredibly ignorant for suggesting that. Should I feel mad, or am I over reacting?

Of course not! If your cat is sleepy then just let it sleep for awhile. Give it some sleeping pills if it has a hard time going to sleep.

Sleep is quite important not only for humans but also for animals, so stop depriving your poor cat of it.

EDIT: IDK why someone disliked mine and others posts but they are doing it to a lot of people here

I don't think your overeacting in the slightest. I have a cat that is also 15 years old, if someone told me to put him down i would have to hold myself back from spitting in their face. However, I think you should explain the bond you have with your cat to your dad. Maybe he can understand. But, I am going to let you know that there is a certain point where you should put an animal down. One of my cats we put down because even if he survived the surgery, he would be in pain for the rest of his life. It was a very sad day and it takes so much willpower to do that. But lets not think about that, and enjoy the life we have with our pets now.

I don't think your overreacting at all. That was a ridiculously stupid thing for him to suggest. If my dad said that about any of my 19 pets, I would be absolutely enraged, and I would be hating him for long time. It's not like he's the one paying vet bills. People like him (it sounds like anyways) don't think about it from the cat's point of view. I'd bet my life on the fact that if you could speak the same language as the cat, and asked him if he would rather take pills every day, or die, he would say he'd rather take pills. It's arrogant people like that who don't care about animal's lives. They are STILL LIVES, and don't anyone even TRY to tell me they don't matter. 

gas him its the best to go like daddy hitler always say gas them then eat them

• Ken S

No you should be mad and disappointed in people like these.

The medicine costs about 25 cents per pill. A life and a person's morality is worth more then something being a pain or even hard

• Ocimom

If you have a job and can afford the meds and expenses of taking care of her, then it doesn't matter what your father says.  Its your cat.  

• patty

A friend has to put medication in her cats ears twice a day and the cat don't like it but she does it. I take vitamins and medication everyday, its not hard. My dad used to get rid of kittens our cat would have. One day he even buried them. That was the old generation.

The cat is I'll?  What?

You are overreacting.  Is the cat in pain?  If so, you are the unreasonable one.

You are willing to take him to the Vet twice a year for hyperthydroidism?  Try twice a month.

You disagree with putting down I will animals?  Then it's your decision.

I have had more than one dog that was suffering and there was no cure.  I had my dogs euthanized while I held them in my arms.

How old are you that "put down" and "put to sleep" are part of your vocabulary?

if its your cat it should be your choice

If your cat is not in pain and is living a normal life, then there is no reason to euthanize it.