Rory asked in PetsCats · 10 months ago

Is it normal for my cat to get thinner after being moved outdoors?

Hi,

I’ve had my cat for around 7-8 years and for most of her life she’s been an indoor cat. She’s had constant access to food but she never really over ate and stayed a healthy (if not slightly chubby) weight. Recently she’s been evicted from her place inside the house, courtesy of my step-father, and has to live outside. Now she gets fed once a day, although some days I can’t find her around the house and my parents won’t let me leave food out for her as they believe some other animal may be getting to it. Because of this, I’ve noticed she’s dropped a few pounds. She’s got a fluffy coat so it’s a bit hard to tell what her actual weight is. She seems to be doing fine so far, she even hunts the local birds and makes a kill every so often. I was just wondering if I should be more concerned about her weight loss. 

Sounds like another case of a new man in the house wanting to throw his weight around and prove his imagined power and superiority.  If your mother allowed this, then the poor cat will not be the last thing to go.

Find a new home for your cat asap.  I hope you have a friend or relative to take it so you will be able to visit often.

I don't think you should be too concerned, but feeding a cat once a day is not enough food at all.

• Layne

Indoor cats of often table scraps inside.  Maybe that is why.

Your stepfather is starving the poor cat. Move out and take the cat with you if you are old enough.

• Ken S

Boy your family really su cks.

Please try to find a proper home for the cat an d don't get anymore pets till you are on your own

The cat is stressed. Keep the cat in the home.

It's normal. They move around more outdoors. 

Your stepfather is an idiot. I hope your cat has all her immunizations because she's in danger of catching disease, if not. And she's not used to being outdoors. Maybe someone ought to toss your step father out into the wilderness somewhere and see how he likes it.

it is completely natural. indoor cats don't get to move around as much because there aren't things to hunt and not as great of places to run around or climb. you may notice your cats cleanliness of her own body improve as well. Many shelters advise families to not let their cats out for obvious reasons, but cats know where their food source and safety is so they stick around. being an outdoor/indoor cat is overall much healthier for her.

She's starving to death.  As an indoor cat, she lack proper hunting skills.  She's also likely to be injured, freeze to death or die of an illness.  You obviously can't take care of her, and putting her outside is incredibly cruel.  Take her to a shelter where she can be cared for and hopefully find a home with responsible people who will do right by her.