How far is too far when referring to distance?

• #

Gravity is relative to distance. On Earth, no problem, I enjoy even walking (I never did it) from Europe to Australia, I can do it. But difficulties come when you need to go out of the gravity "jump" to pass the barrier, out in space you need thousands of kilometers until you reach the 'zero' gravity, the hard and longer time trip, and then ... you're able to reach far larger distances in shorter time compared to that small length of before (earth's gravity pull), even to other solar planetary system in shorter time. But after that, you need to land on some planet again, and part is again "far" because you face the other gravity. And same all over again. 

I'm sorry if I did it difficult to you, but it is easier on this planet to walk. 

Too far to reach it in a twinkle of an eye.

• MARK

There is no objective answer to this question.

How far is too far is subjective. I would certainly consider travelling 10 km to buy 1 L of milk too far. That is because I live in a large metropolis and need not ever travel that far to buy milk.

If a particular band that I would like to see were playing at a venue no closer than 150 km to my home I would be prepared to travel that far.

I live in the UK and travel to Australia to visit my brother. If I had no relative there I would probably consider it too far just to go for a holiday.

In general we in the UK would often not be prepared to travel the great distances that Americans or Australians will. That is because our country is very much smaller than Australia or the USA.

• Phil

Over 20,000 km.

The circumference of the world at the Equator or down a meridian of Longitude and back is 40,000 km, so the furthest you need travel to get anywhere is 20,000 km in a straight line.

ps, distance in outer space is another matter.

• Bill-M

Depends on your method of Transportation.

If your Walking, 10 Miles is too Far.

• Andrew

The answer to that question would inevitably vary from one person to the next. People from The United States and Canada have a very different perception of long distances than do people in Britain or New Zealand. In North America, an 8 hour drive will probably cover about 500 miles, but in Britain, such a journey would cover more than half the island and in New Zealand, one would likely only traverse half the North Island in that time, so Britons and New Zealanders would see such a journey quite differently. It would also depend on whether or not the person in question regularly travels from one place to another covering significant distances. Some people commute 2 or 3 hours a day one way while others live only a 5 minute walk from their workplace. I would say that it's not just the distance itself, but the reason for making the trip to begin with. If you live out in the countryside and the nearest shop is a 30 minute drive away, if you want milk for your morning coffee, it's probably not "too" far to make the trip, but if you live in central London and your mate rings you and asks if you'd like to meet up at the pub 90 minutes away on the Tube, you might be inclined to pass. 

When it's impractical to attempt that distance for whatever reason.  For example, the distance might be too far to walk, but not too far by car. 

When you go beyond acceptable boundaries (like into a neighboring yard or area or state or country).  Or you cannot get back safely.

There is no such thing. If you have to refer to distance, then you have to refer to distance, you can't just arbitrarily cut off the answer and say it's too far to be practical.

it depends. for instance, my kitchen is too far when i am hungry but lazy and it is only 10 feet away.