Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 months ago

Grammar Nazis have made me lose my interest in story writing, what should I do?

Every time I write a story I get attacked by the grammar Nazis. Mostly women, I get oppressed by them and it makes me depressed and I stop making stories, mentally scarred if it is wrote correctly or not. My writing professors in college gave me a big c when I broke my neck and strived my guts out writing perfect stories when they were hard on me over my grammar.

What should I do?

My grammar is not bad, but grammar Nazis are going too far with me 

Favorite Answer

To hell with them. You can write anyway you want and if the publisher likes your stuff, they'll have those same grammar nazis proofread and make corrections. They'll be working for you.

"What should I do?"

Improve your grammar. Obviously!

Alternatively, you could stop posting your stories and inviting comments.

PS What difference does it make what sex the grammar Nazis are? All that matters is whether what they tell you is correct.

If you want to write a good story, you got to start with an idea.  Writing it grammatically correct is the MECHANICS of it.   You hire people to fix that.

Coming up with the "idea" is something only YOU can do.

Look at JK Rawlings.  She came up with the idea not totally original but she but her own twist to it to make it something.  It was meant to be a children's book....and yet became so much more.

I am not saying you will succeed. Most writers don't succeed. Just saying so you know that.  So get a real job if you want to eat.  Writing is a hobby, like oil painting. These artists STARVE.

There is word programs "such as Grammarly" that is suppose to fix the grammar but(that is to a certain type of language such as from the U.S.   If you are from Britain, then the language grammar is different than the U.S., or from Australia again it is different...so the program means nothing to me.  I learnt what I learnt in cool school when I was there so suffer World.

Writing is a form of communication.  As such, it has rules.  Not following rules means you're not communicating.  Imagine listening to a song, but there's too much static to really hear it.  You wouldn't enjoy listening, no matter how good that song was.  Spelling, punctuation, grammar etc are the written equivalent.  Being bad at these things yanks the reader out of what you've written.  It destroys the immersion.  It's the equivalent of a record needle screeching across a vinyl record.  

Also, if you don't care enough about your writing to make it readable, why would anyone else care enough to read it?  You show contempt for the reader as well as the work.

Use better grammar and spelling.

It's clear to me that you have a very poor writing style.

You will never get a job as a writer if you can't show command of the English language. AND you can't write effectively, you will never get a higher-level job in the real world.

Check out what you just wrote. "if it is wrote", should read, "if it is written". If you feel you don't need to improve then give up writing or stop exposing what you write to other people. No one wants to read anything loaded with grammatical errors. There is something called proof reading which is something all writers are taught to do. It seems you're to proud to critique your own work and get upset when someone else does it. No one has to accept inferior work.

• Andrew

If you write stories regularly, then you ought to have a solid grasp of grammar and usage. And if you're old enough to be enrolled in a university, then you don't have any excuse at all. If you're not a native speaker of English and are composing stories in English, then it's more than understandable that you're going to make the occasional error now and again, but you really shouldn't be making your work available to other people until you can produce pieces of writing that meet the bare minimal standards for review by native speakers. Lastly, if you don't possess a skin thick enough to withstand criticism, you shouldn't be offering up pieces of original writing at all. When you submit a piece for review and open the floor for criticism and feedback, you have to take what you get. The fact that you allow poor reviews and negative feedback to stick to your ribs and make you depressed isn't the fault of the people reading your work - it's yours. 

just write anyways

Take up your real career in fast food.

So instead of learning from your mistakes, you prefer to whine.

It has nothing to do with their sex. It has to do with the fact that ENGLISH professors are commenting on your work and they want you to work on your grammar. 

When there are too many grammatical errors in a story, it makes the author look uneducated and careless and it makes the reader want to stop reading. 

If you actually cared about your work, you’ll take the constructive criticism and improve or you can continue to wallow in self pity, trying to blame the women in your life. 

Grow up.