Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 8 months ago

What is it like to know a scientist personally?

How do they differ from other people?

Why the weird scientist questions ?  

• Jim

Honestly, we're a little strange, and most of us know it, but can't do a lot about it.

We have an educated view of the world in the sense of the ways things actually work.

But that leads to issues since we tend to correct people when they have a 'general' view.

For instance, there are 3 different 'types' of heat. My girlfriend wanted a radiant heater, so I proceeded to explain the differences in heat vs a convection heater. She just wanted to stay warm.

Scientific language is just that, a very precise language of about 20,000 words that scientists speak to each other. It is very exact, with usually only 1 answer per question. This is totally at odds with English, where nuances abound, no wonder we take things wrong, or hurt peoples feelings when we talk precisely!

• MARK

I am a scientist and I work with many. We are not some strange breed different from the rest of humanity. To think we are is both incredibly stupid and without foundation. I hope my colleagues and I are unique individuals like all human beings. Of course, our personal experiences shape who we are so obviously our scientific education plays a role. However, as I said above, that does not make us some strange breed. What it certainly does is make us well-educated. I fear a lack of education plays a big role behind this question.

I am a scientist who knows himself personally, and I differ from other people in understanding that I am not different from other people.

• Cowboy

Very few are like Carl Sagan...

They don't.  I was in the Planetary Science section at Caltech.  The people are not geeky like the ones on "The Big Bang Theory."  Oh sure, there were a few weirdos around … the same number that you would find in ANY workplace.

ive never known one but they sound like nice people

I seriously would not have a clue...

Go here to get the Mental Health help you need - https://www.mentalhealth.gov/get-help

We are just like other people, only more so.