Why are most Police cars and service vehicles American? Are they racist to Japanese/European?

where I live in Ontario Canada most of the Police cars are Dodge Chargers the V6 model. Then the interceptors are like Ford SUV's with big V6 engines. Why don't they use a Honda Pilot or Honda Accord 2.0T?

Even companies that do cables they use dodge Caravans instead of Odyssey or Sienna. Or roofing companies I see them use an F150 or a Sierra but never a Ridgeline or a Tundra.

Are they racist?

• hamel5
    Favorite Answer

Here in the U.S, police departments are required to give first preference to U.S built vehicles.  Since many GM, Ford and Dodge cars are made in Canada,  Canada probably has the same rules. 

As far as utility companies are concerned,  the US / Canada built vans are probably less expensive given the tariffs in place for commercial vehicles. 

• Anon

Not "made in Canada:", have a lot of Canadian and Mexican Parts. assembled in US of A. Parent company in Flint or Detroit, Mi, that makes it American-Made.

They bid on fleet purchase and the American dealers give them the cheapest deal. If they weren't spending my money I'd tell them buy better quality instead of cheapest vehicles.

No but you just showed us you're a Geeky liberal with no brain.

What a stupid ******* question.

• F

I've often wondered that myself when watching police documentaries when their Ford Crown Victoria is being outrun by a cr4ppy old  pick up truck.

Very few car makers offer a special "police" version these days, and they are American.  Police cars have a lot of extra heavy duty  parts not found on regular cars or SUVs, plus more powerful engines.

Odysseys and Siennas only come as a passenger vehicle.

• zipper

The American and Canadian Models are easier to maintain and cheaper. Plus it keeps the money in country were it belongs, to keep country men working.

• JetDoc

Police cars are American brands mostly because the Japanese brands you have mentioned do not sell specially equipped vehicles made for police use in North America.

• Mark

Because they are cars made either in the US or Canada.  I don't really see them buying "Pandas" (a popular police car in the UK) or whatever.  And given that most of the US is white, how can they be "racist" to European CARS?

• Anon

Not in My state.. If you cant speak Spanish, its sometimes hard to get along.

Fleet operators (government or private business) publish their specifications when they wish to purchase new vehicles . . . interested dealers submit proposal/bids for the order . . . . from those who meet the specifications they make the final choice based on cost,  service & safety ratings,  insurance costs,  recommendations from their service personnel, etc.  And, government agencies see a perceived value to buy domestic products.

So if you never see any foreign fleet vehicles:  they don't meet spec, the sellers don't bid, they cost more to buy, operate & maintain,  have lower resale, have lower safety ratings etc etc etc.