What is the treatment?

Hello, i was wondering if anyone could shed light on my situation. I woke up Saturday to a foot that was too painful to walk on. I had went to the gym one time that week, Monday, but i was also walking a lot that whole week.Then Saturday i woke up and could not walk on my foot. (Im a college student) i went to the clinic on campus and got X-rays and it appeared to be a “accessory ossicle in my soft tissue” or “ os cuboid”. After the nurse got those results she said “ so its not a fracture or sprain, nothing is torn all you have is a extra bone in the same spot where it hurts”. My issue is she never told me what i could do about it. She told me to take pain medicine but she never said if it would go away on its own or if i needed something else. So i was wondering if anyone had any experience or knows what will happen in this case.

Those accessory bones are a normal finding. They are not the cause of your non-traumatic symptoms. Why not rest it, elevate, apply ice and take Ibuprofen, or Tylenol.

• David B

Those the person leaving the thumbs down, I have been in practice for 46 years, including a residency in Orthopedics.  I would love to hear of your experience and recommendation. Waiting!

You need to make an appointment with an orthopedic specialist.  It looks like the clinic evaluated your situation only to determine if it was an emergency or not. 

If you can figure what is making the bone hurt - i.e. flexing or rotating your ankle, or maybe direct pressure on the bone from shoes or bearing weight you might be able to figure out a solution.  Otherwise, you will need to get some advice from a doctor.  Its possible that surgery may be the only solution if the pain is caused by normal activities.   

• David B

It would seem premature to ask to see a specialist at this point. My guess is that it is already feeling better.

if it was not a problem before it has nothing to worry about give it rest and take a break and take normal pain meds and and after a week if no improvement go back and if it gets worse go back also clinics can do so much so see a gp the has more of a history on you

maybe you should ask her what to do about it