Fitness asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 11 months ago

Obesity and Lifting, is it Safe?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago

It depends on the person's overall health and physical condition.  If the person doesn't have an underlying heart or blood pressure issue, they should be able to do weight lifting of some kind. If the have medical contraindications, they should speak with their doctor and get cleared for specific types of exercise.

If an obese person is trying to "get in shape," they need to start with their diet -- weight loss is 80% diet.  They can and should do daily exercise that combines some cardio as well as toning.  There are lots of body weight exercises that people can do (push ups, squats, lunges, etc.). Great DVD for people who are just starting out is Chris Powell's Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition Bootcamp.  

Anyone who is starting to work out in a gym should be "trained" on how to use each piece of equipment safely and how to determine the correct amount of weight whether it is a machine, a bar bell, kettle bell, disc, or dumbbell.  

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

The bigger concern is your overall health. Get a physical and ask your doctor.  

• k w
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

lift yourself ! ....do leg lifts, not easy...in comfy clothes place hands under buttocks, lift legs 6inches, then spread wide, return then lower, that's one.... when I decided to start doing them again, I could only do 5 in cpl weeks, I'm up to 40 non-stop, it will increase core strength, you can do 6 out of 7 days or every other day if you wish, your choice..but while watching tv you can stand up during commercials, and touch toes, trunk twist body, bend and stretch, do arm rolls .......

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.