What should you do if you get fired for not giving your passport?

I have an indonesian friend who has a maid of the same nationality. He made a sad post in our class groupchat. He told us to pray for his maid's sister and gave the story of what happened. His maid's sister applied somewhere in the middle east as a maid for a family. However, the family demanded her passport but she refused to give it to them. She was yelled at and told to leave. This just happened yesterday. She needs to work because she has 3 children to feed and her husband doesn't earn that much.

• Foofa
    Favorite Answer

Some of the Gulf countries are famous for sponsors grabbing guest worker passports. This is because so many of these workers "run away" after being beaten, raped or just worked half to death. Suicide rates are high amongst guest workers in UAE and other places. This is a real problem. India and Indonesia specifically have intervened over the years to get their nationals' passports back from unscrupulous employers. But as your friend's maid's sister never handed her passport over she is now free to leave whatever country she's in. She may need to work but this "job" isn't one she can do without relinquishing her passport. She'll have to find a different job, perhaps in a different country.

Take the case to an Employment Tribunal. 

• Lisa A

Take that passport and use it to return home, and be thankful that this didn't go any further.

All she can do is notify the Indonesian Embassy she was fired for refusing to surrender her passport.  

• y

I'm thinking she got lucky, not working for that family.

The woman who applied for work as a maid in any Mideast country should know that employers always hold their foreign workers' passports. Yes, it prevents them from leaving without the employer's permission. It also prevents the employer from being imprisoned if the foreign worker they sponsor absconds! 

It's her & her husband's fault for having 3 kids they cannot and/or will not support. She'll have to go home & find another job. Preferably she'll work in her own country ( & take care of her kids) instead of trying to get fat Mideast salaries to send back to Indonesia - but leave her kids without a mother.

• helene

They should all be on their knees thanking God that she was not stupid enough to hand over her passport.

They didn't want a maid, they wanted a slave. The woman needs to go back to her family, who she might never have seen again if she had gone to work for that family.

Woman was smart.  You don't say what country this was but most slavery starts with the removal of a person's passport to prevent him/her from running away.  It is not just the Middle East that does this, my Great British passport was taken by US immigration at JFK and I had to go to court to get it back. I'm not sure what praying would do.  Woman needs to get another job.

And this is your concern how?

• Carlos2 months agoReport

Well my friend just posted it and I kinda have pity. I just posted here because I thought i would get some good answers for help. 

• Tavy

These people hold on to the passport so that maids 

can never leave the job. They can be paid less or not at all. It's blackmail.

It has happened here in the U.K.

• Ibu you are wrong as usual.  In the UK it is illegal to hold someone's passport for any reason.  You can make a copy but then must return it immediately.