Do you like sitcoms?

Favorite Answer

Generally no.  But there are exceptions.  First of all, most sitcoms aren't very funny.  The laugh track has a MUCH more powerful effect on you than you probably realize.  There are youtube videos that show scenes/episodes from famous sitcoms without the laugh track and if you watch some of them you find out that some of the most beloved sitcoms were actually GARBAGE.  Seinfeld for example - not actually funny without the laugh track.  I know, I fell for it too.  It FELT funny at the time, but I've seen it.  It's not.

But then you also get the same repeated characters over and over for the most part, each of whom basically has one character trait - the dumb one, the vain one, the jock one, the nice one, the drunk one, the motherly one, the fatherly one, and so on.  They're usually very badly written outside of the jokes.

Here's some exceptions to me.

The Office - Good jokes, no laugh track, the main characters actually have depth and evolve (not so much the backgrounders like Kevin or Stanley of course)

Good Place - Not hilarious, but the most thought provoking and deep sitcom I've seen.

South Park - Yes, it's a sitcom.  It's also deeply political satire based and has amazing insight and humor to stay relevant and watchable for 24 years.

Simpsons - Only until season 8-10 or so, but Simpsons literally changed the face of the sitcom.  Sitcoms can be divided into pre-Simpsons and post-Simpsons and they don't look much alike.  So funny, and biting subtle satire that you probably missed if you watched when you were younger.

They're not the only exception, just the first ones off my mind.  

I like certain American Sitcoms. British sitcoms aren't funny.

6 of the best & funniest are:

Friends - the best

Full House

The Dick Van Dyke Show - the funniest (whole series)

The Andy Griffith Show - second best

The Big Bang Theory - the funniest (first half of the series)

Mike & Molly

I like some of the old British sitcoms

• EddieJ

I have loved many sitcoms in the past.

Among the sitcoms that are new this season, the only one that is fairly good is "Bob (hearts) Abishola" but I'm not sure if it has what it takes to continue beyond one or two seasons.

Of the current sitcoms that returned this season, "Mom" and "Young Sheldon" are both among the best.

Among sitcoms that were successful, but that I did NOT like at all are "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", and "Brooklyn Nine Nine".  People who liked those probably don't like the shows that I like.

• Kathy

I like some sitcoms, but not all of them.

What, all those cliches and canned laughter?

The days of real sitcoms are gone and extinct, today, they portray society as a world of idiots and fools and that is what we are teaching our kids.

Big bang theory insults the intelligence of a 6 year old.

• yes old ones i do, of the 60's 70's & 80's, modern ones are pure rubbish.

• Lôn

British sitcoms..YES.

American sitcoms...NO....(apart from the Beverley Hillbillies)

SOMETIMES LIKE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES