Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

My mother is putting me in a detrimental situation . Would you consider the following to be an act of karma?

I'll try to make a long story short. My mom is a cosigner on my lease . My rent was just paid for December . It was every intent for my rent expenses to be deducted from my banking account. However , my mother's banking account is on file along with my banking account.

The rental office , by mistake deducted the funds from the wrong account. They were supposed to deduct from my account instead of hers.

IRONICALLY: Two weeks ago my mother had a very poor attitude about my living situation. She basically told me that if I were to become evicted and not have shelter , food and clothing , that she "did not care." Which I interpret as her playing with my life . As in that case , it would be a matter of life and death for me.

During a phone conversation today with my mom , I addressed the issue with the payment mistake. I offered to reimburse her for the money that accidentally came out of her account. But her attitude is very ugly , to the point where she hung the phone up on me.

Should I take advantage of this mistake and financially screw her over? Due to the fact that she is trying to screw me over in terms of my life , health and well-being?

I'm really bothered by the fact that she still has the same attitude as before, about my life and existence here on Earth... Even AFTER I offered to remedy this banking mistake.

• Foofa

Just reimburse the money and give her some time to cool down. It's unlikely this is going to be a permanent estrangement.

You don't need your mother's permission to repay the money into her account. Just DO it.

The story about the rent being deducted from the wrong account sounds pretty doubtful.

That is a great idea if you are 12, but an awful idea if you are an adult.  Nor is this an act of karma.  

An act of Karma was what she was describing to you that you took as a threat.  As your co-signer her credit would be ruined and she would suffer financially if you got evicted, and that negative action would be brought back to you as she described..  That is what Karma is.  What is the lesson learned?  Don't get evicted and be appreciative to all who help you out like Mom did when she agreed to be your co-signer.

Your Mom shouldn't have an offer from you to reimburse her for the rent, she should have your check in her hands NOW.

• Edna

Just one question:  What are you and your mother both "sharing" the same checking account? You should each have your own separate accounts, and then this kind of mistake couldn't happen.

• Edna

If they both have separate accounts and aren't "sharing" one account, then the apartment office couldn't have made this mistake - there would have been two separate checks written, each with its own account number..

• Ann

What you do is go to the bank, have then withdraw money from your account and put it into her account.  You don't have to say anything about it to her.  It will show up on her bank statement.  You don't want to let this go, but make it right financially.  It doesn't matter if it's your mother or someone else.  It's the right thing to do.  If your mother decides to be vindictive, she could sue you in small claims court, and you don't want something like that on your credit report.  What you do about communicating with her is up to you, but if she's being this vindictive, my advice is to try to get out of the situation by moving to another place.  

you cant pay her back if she refuses to talk to you about it

• Elaine

Since you are old enough to live on your own it is up to you to contact the bank and have them rectify the mistake. 

• reme_1

If you are old enough to live on your own, you have certain responsibilities. Get your mother's name off your lease. And repay her the rent money asap. THen take a break from her and let her cool down.

Don't be an idiot.  She cosigned for you because otherwise someplace wouldn't rent to you.