Please I need your advice?

I was in college last summer. I had to pay out of pocket because I have to be a full-time student to qualify for financial aid plus they said my dad made enough money, therefore I was ineligible. I work 7 days a week just to afford rent and other needs, but I want to ask if it's a good idea to take 1 or 2 classes per semester because that's all I can afford. I'm just worried it will take too long before I finish college. Pls advise me??

• MS
    Favorite Answer

Taking one or two classes per semester will get you done faster than not taking any classes will.  Do what you can do, and don't worry about how long it takes.  Better to finish late than not at all (if college is in fact what you want to do).

• zipper

Hay if you can not afford any more, you do what pay for. It will be worth the investment in knowledge!  GO FOR IT!

I'm impressed with your determination.  Yes, it will take a long time to get a degree taking one or two classes per year.  It will take even longer if you don't take any classes.

My concern with your post is that if you are not being supported by your parents, then your father's income isn't relevant to your financial aid situation.  If you can work for a year and prove you are self-supporting, you might get the financial aid you need.

The things you really have to determine for yourself include:

1. Are you likely to get significant financial aid in the future to enable you to go as a full-time student?

2.  Will you have to continue to work full-time whether or not you get financial aid.

3.  What type of degree and academic experience are you looking for?  Would you be better served saving up some money and going more full-time or are you content to take one class?  Is there an online program that would better meet your needs?

• Laurie

The years will pass, no matter what you do. Would you like, after time passes, to have a degree - or not?

File as independent, you're paying for it as if you are.

• martin

Take your time and enjoy these years, as long as you can support yourself with your job, and as long as the college rules allow you to just take a couple courses at a time.

you could try doing it that way