Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 months ago

How do I deal with a coworker who makes every discussion an argument?

We had a new coworker join our team a few weeks ago. Everything went fine at first, but now, every time we have a friendly discussion about something, he always butts in and shuts down our opinions and says things along the lines of "That's not true, I know from personal experience," or "I know a guy who knows this is wrong." I find it difficult to have any conversations with him because any time I add my two cents, he insists he's right and changes the conversation. I sincerely doubt he knows this much about everything, since we discuss a wide variety of topics. Either we've encountered a real life Encyclopedia Brown, or he's full of **** and just wants to be right all the time. I work overnights and our team is very small, only about 5 people, so I can't just outright avoid him. How can I make talking to him more tolerable?

• PAMELA

Tell him no body is interested in his opinions and do not include him in any more discussions with you, if he tries to butt in say, sorry, we were not talking to you!

i probably wouldnt bother talking to him

• drip

You have a small team. Do the other co workers have the same problem with him? Are they are as bother by it as you are? 

Then all of you only talk work around him. If he interrupts a conversation, all of you abruptly change the subject to work. Ignore his argumentative input. 

He says I know a guy that knows that is wrong.  Oh, how nice for you, end the conversation and all of you walk away from him. Part of the problem is he wants a reaction, he wants to be the focus. Don’t  react.  

He isn’t going to change. Getting frustrated or mad will just fuel him. 

• Elaine

Limit the topic of conversation to work related issues. 

• Chanel

It sounds like you would be far better off not talking to the guy about anything outside of work.

He sounds sadistic like he plays mind games.

If you google 'gas lighting' then you can read the information about people like him.

Just concentrate on your job and if he tries to talk tell him your are busy.

One well-known columnist used to get a lot of mail from people challenging his writings and wanting to start arguments about his topics.

Rather than get involved in pointless controversies, he had postcards printed up that said, "You may be right at that" which he would mail back to those folks.

I had a coworker like that.  He was a know-it-all arrogant obnoxious liberal.  Like most liberals, he was dishonest and I caught him stealing from the company.  He was fired immediately and I heard that two weeks later he committed suicide.  

Stop talking when he's around.

• martin

This person has a weak, annoying personality, and is trying to act superior to others, even though the others have been at the job longer than he has. Eventually anyone would end up avoiding him because bluntly denying something you say is very insulting.

Go uncircumcised him