How to become a good problem solver?

I am a beginner in Programming. But now, I want to be a good programmer. some of says that First do problem solving.

• Steven

Become a problem solver is not easy, you have to do hard work, and resolve all small to complex problems individually, then you able to become problem solver.   

You start by solving the biggest, hardest problems, like world hunger or overpopulation. Then everything else after that will seem real simple.

Source(s): Boom.

There are too many debugging tips and tricks to list an a Yahoo Answer.  The best general advice I can give is to find someone who is good at it, and get them to mentor you.  Try to learn the way they think and look at things.

Here are some tips.

1. Figure out where the problem is, and where it's not.  Like, suppose you see that your bathroom wall is wet.  Is the problem inside the wall, or outside?  Run scenarios though your head of what it could be if it was inside.  The only two things that come to my mind are condensation from the shower, or that someone splashed some water on there by accident.

2. Eliminate possible causes, either by gathering data, or running experiments.  For example, in the bathroom, I could simply ask anyone who had access whether they splashed water.  That counts as gathering data.  If no one did, then I could tell everyone not to use the shower for the next few days, to see if the wall will dry out.  That counts as an experiment.  If you determine that the problem must be internal to the wall, then you would consider - is the drain pipe leaking from the sink?  Toilet? Water supply pipe leaking?  Roof leak (rain)?

3. Ask experts.  Most problems, someone else has encountered before.  Save yourself trouble.  Sometimes an expert will look at the symptom and tell you that you're using v 3.1 of the package, when you should be using v 3.3 or higher.  Or they'll tell you the gasket is missing from the oil pan.

4. Try to perturb the problem.  If you disable wi-fi and hardwire your networking, does the problem go away?  If you run a network-intensive program like a speed test at the same time, does the problem get worse?

5.  Retrace your steps.  If it worked before, try to find out when it broke.  What changed between the last working version of your code, and the failing version?  Can you put the changes back in one by one until the failure occurs again?

As I said, there are just too many things to list.  Someday I hope to write a book.  See if you can find person who is a good debugger, and learn from them.

• Tasm

Understand the techniques well and you will have few problems to solve. Programming is like baking a cake. Its a task, but only a problem if you don't know the ingredients, have the ingredients, or know how to cook it.

• Lv 7

you become a good problem solver by solving problems BY YOURSELF, as opposed to asking others how to solve them. only by solving things on your own do you grow better and better at it.

just like doing crossword puzzles without looking up the answers makes you better at solving crossword puzzles.

as you write code, you will inevitably make mistakes, especially as you try to code faster and faster to meet deadlines. eventually, you will forget a semicolon here, or an end bracket there, and will need to do problem solving to fix things. you may even learn multiple languages, and confuse the rules for each.

what's most important when problem solving is that you don't give up. if you are stuck, step away for a while, and come back with fresh eyes. you should only ask for help once you're sure you've tried everything. often, the problem was something tiny you missed, like a comma or an end bracket.

even goigling for help is not a bad thing to learn, and helps you build your vocabulary.

Good problem solvers do make good programmers. Math courses make you a stickler for details because if anything is not right, you will get the wrong answer. This is good for being a stickler on syntax but less on problem solving because math is more about filling in the blanks rather than thinking of all possible scenarios that can give a desired result as well as all the possible scenarios for why your code is not working as expected. Solving logic type puzzles is good for developing troubleshooting skills and a good troubleshooter is good at coming up with possible scenarios as to why something is not working, but also provides the skill to think of how to put things together in a way to get a desired result. I was a troubleshooter in electronics before computer programming really caught on and being an Electrical Engineer, I took all of the maths so I am overly sensitive to details that drive my family crazy. Practice certainly helps, but honestly I have been around for nearly 6 decades in technical fields where most people are not that good because I don't think problem solving can be taught, at least to the level of actually being good at it. The small percentage who are actually good at it, had that natural ability ever since they could remember.  It's sort of like musical talent, many can do it, but few are good at it.

You know the series of Nancy Drew games? you should start with that

Source(s): Played at least 5 of them

Take Algebra through Calculus. Work on putting real-world problems into equations. 

• EddieJ

Either you have the ability to learn from experience or you don't.

So, get the experience solving programming exercises, and you'll either get better at it or you won't.

The fact that you asked this question implies that you seem to prefer asking other people to try to solve your problems for you.  But you can try to change that.

Sometimes solving a problem involves doing research.  Asking a question isn't research.  Doing a google search would be research.