I don't drink alcohol and never get drunk. Am I weird in some way?

So yeah, I'm an adult and I don't drink and had never been drunk in my life. I note a lot of people around me drink alcohol as part of socialising and events.

I just don't touch the stuff. Am not interested and don't care for the effects. Yet I don't know if I'm missing out because it seems so many people in my generation get drunk and it's supposedly a "great way to have fun".

you're a "functioning alcoholic"

seek help, please

Not at all. You are normal 

You sound like you're being kind of negative about it. Especially with the quotes around a great way to have fun. You either wanna try it or you don't. If you don't that's fine and if you do that's fine too. But if you're not interested why does it matter what everyone else thinks?

There are lots and lots of people who don't drink - there's nothing unusual in that.

To me, if you want to drink then drink (so long as it doesn't effect your ability to do what you need to do and you only drink in moderation). If you don't want to drink then don't drink.

• keerok

I don't find getting drunk fun so I don't drink that much. If I do drink, which is one in a blue moon, I do with one glass, just enough to taste whatever that is. I don't feel missing out, ever. My pals understand and worse, I don't drive - no license, so I'm useless to them.

• DJC

You're not alone and you're wise for avoiding alcohol.  You're not weird, you're wise.  Social drinking can quickly turn into full-blown alcoholism.  And you don't even have to be an alcoholic to be hurt by alcohol.  Becoming inebriated once can kill you or get you seriously injured as it lowers your reaction time, memory formation, and inhibitions.  Getting drunk is NOT FUN for three simple reasons:

1. You don't remember what you did while you were drunk.  So even if you did have fun, you won't have a fun memory.

2. Drunkenness one night is followed by a hangover the next morning.  Hangovers are horrible, not fun.

3. You can't have fun if you get seriously injured while drunk.

I've never been drunk either and I don't intend to ever be.  I don't drink alcohol at all and have no plans to ever start.  I've seen alcoholism wreck my own family, so I want nothing to do with it.

No, I don't think that is weird.

• Sky

No, not at all.  Not everybody likes alcohol.  I can't stand the stuff and never touch it, never got drunk, and never had more than a sip from back when I was a kid.  I'm with you in not liking the effects of alcohol (or drugs for that matter); I want to keep a clear mind so my perceptions are always as clear as possible and my decisions are as smart as possible.  Yes, a lot of people think it's supposedly a "great way to have fun", but if they need to get drunk to have fun then whatever they're doing must never have been all that fun to begin with.  In my life I've had some amazing fun without having a drop of alcohol.

• Petter

No, why would that be weird?

At least we have something in common.