Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

Close friend has betrayed me?

I’m 27 and my close friend is nearly 27. We went to school together and known each other for 14 years now.

Since school, we’ve met up in a unique way 10 years after that, and we’ve spoken everyday for the past 4 years.

I worked a 9-5 job and I’m more of a laid back type of person. He’s very ambitious and is self employed and has his own mechanic business. He finds it hard to trust people and kept trying to get me on board to do his business with him.

I’ve been doing it for 2 years on a part time basis and the money is good. The plan was to save and get a garage together.

He kept convincing me that my 9-5 job is a waste of time and it won’t give me the things I want in life. I eventually handed in my notice and left 2 weeks ago - he says once I leave he’s got me the whole way and we will be more successful.

I’ve left, worked with him for 1 week, and we’ve had a massive fall out as he has serious problems where he cannot control his temper and his mood swings everywhere. Making a small thing a big thing.

So now I’ve lost my 9-5 job, I’ve also lost the partnership I’ve had with my friend and our long term friendship which he says means nothing to him. I now see he is a selfish person.

Now I’m stuck and not sure what path to take in my career. I’m thinking of driving instructor and maybe opening a cafe. But it doesn’t seem like a stable choice, I don’t know.

Advice please??

• Alan H

Hard as it is, all you can do is start all over again.

Now is not always.   You may have learned a valuable lesson the hard way.

• zipper

It sounds more like you betrayed yourself dragging your feet to much. How long did you think he could wait for you to wise up and man up.  He made the right move, you just drag your feet to much!

Tell him to go take his medication. Do what you feel you want to do.

It's you're own fault for allowing yourself to be so easily swayed into a stupid decision. 

Make your own way, with people like that is hard to work. Never make a business with your friends! You will end losing both the business and friendship or one of those.

• Foofa

Until you figure out what you want to do with your life you'll need to try to get another conventional job. You can always leave that once you've got a plan in place. But for now you need to be working, earning and doing some soul searching.

And to think many people actually wonder why many of us do not have nor want so called close friends... 

You don't need to determine your life path today. You need income now. 

Step #1 is to call you former boss and see if there is any way for you to get your old job back.  Step #2 is to apply to any and all open jobs for which you are qualified. 

Once you have money to live on, you can start looking at your own skills and abilities -- as well ask skills you don't have -- and also what type of work you would enjoy.  Running a small business is difficult. You'll need some kind of business plan so that you can get a bank loan.  If that seems like more responsibility than you really want, then that isn't the right path.  

You should also take some time to figure out why you were so clueless about your ex-friend's personality.  Being friends and working with them part-time, you should have be aware of their personality, their attitude, anger issues, etc.  How could you have missed those?   

Also, you always get a written contract and negotiate terms before taking a job.  This is more true with friends and family than with a normal employer.  If you don't understand all of this, learn.  You'll need those skills no matter what you do.

Good luck.

• Mikey

Advice: beg for your job back and never do that again.

Was there any type of contract or legal document to protect you when he said he's got you after you quit your job? If not, this is a hole deep in the ground you should have watched out for. See about collecting unemployment or staying with family until you get on your feet. If it's not too late, call your employer and ask if you can return. They may prefer you over a new hire they have to train for weeks/months.