miguel asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 10 months ago

should i get a second credit card ?

got my first secure card a couple months ago and i’ve been making small payments on it making sure to keep my usage low. the same company i’m with apoved me for a second card with a higher balance. i can manage both accounts easily just wondering if having 2 cards would negatively impact my score. thanks 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

No. Simply having two cards does not always negatively impact your score if you have had both of them for a long time, but having a new card does negatively impact your score.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

It wont really help much.

• martin
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

As long as you pay off both cards every month, you should increase your credit score by having 2 cards.

• 10 months ago

I had five at the same time and they let you lie on applications. I don't recommend having one credit card.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

If the 2nd card is also a secured card, then there is no sense adding a second card.

If it's a actual credit card where the credit card company is lending you THEIR money instead of of your own money, go for it.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

Having a second card with a higher limit will raise your credit score over time (presuming you don't use it or use it responsibly).

Opening the new credit account is likely to lower your score at the beginning, but that will be temporary. 

• 10 months ago

You say "secure card". What is this card secured on? Your home?  Bad move.

Secured cards are unusual. I doubt that this card is actually secured and you actually don't know what you have.

Why is this company offering you a second card rather than just increasing the limit on your existing card?

If you're keeping your usage low, why would you want another card? 

Sounds like you don't know what's going on here. 

• Carson
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

Read slowly: The more credit YOU HAVE AVAILABLE will raise your score. What's the interest on your cards?

Shop around.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.