Is joining the military a lengthy process? ?

I’m a 23 year old guy and it’s always been in my heart to serve my country. I sincerely want to join the United States Marine Corps for the life experience and interesting career field. 

Anyway, I’m not entirely sure what joining entails. I know you meet with a recruiter, get assigned with one, take the ASVAB, fill out some paperwork, and go to MEPS and get sworn in. Is there anything else involved that I should know about?

I don’t care if it’s a long process or not; I’m just curious if you can enlist in the matter of weeks/months. 

Is there anything else I need to know while enlisting? I’d appreciate any advice! 

Semper Fi! 

Favorite Answer

When I first enlisted into the Air Force I had the chance of getting shipped out in about 3 months after I passed meps. Some people get shipped out 6 - 9 months it all depends on how fast a job is available in the military. As for your second question, there is a lot you should know before enlisting like the creed, formation, how to make your bed, etc. It really helps if you know all of this before you get shipped off to BMT. Look on the app store for Marines delayed entry program maybe they might have one for you. 

• ?

It can take months up to a year to join the US military depending on which service and which job you are going for.

• KaleyK

You understand enough of the process.  What you need to spend your time doing now is READING.  You need to know Marine Corps history, general orders, rank structures, code of conduct, organizational structure .... everything you can possibly read.  And I'm sure you know you will need to be in excellent physical condition.  Finally, always remember that you do not "join" the Marines, you become a Marine, and it is a life-long characteristic.

Source(s): USMC, 2013-2017 and offspring of a career Marine officer

"Is joining the military a lengthy process?" Yes it is. There is a lot of waiting (weeks, not hours) between steps. If your MOS (job) requires a clearance, that has to be completed before you ship out. There has to be an opening in the school you need for your MOS etc. It usually takes a couple of months.