My job is affecting my mental health...?

I hate my job. My boss is a dictator. We are not allowed to bring problems to her, we are not supposed to say anything that could be perceived as negative. Administration is God and the rest of us are slaves. We have no job security. People get fired all the time at the drop of a hat for very minor reasons. There is no union or anything to back up employees. I want to quit so bad, but I am the main income for my family and I carry the insurance. I lay awake at night dreading work, I walk on egg shells all day. I fear for my job on a daily basis. I get stress headaches, have panic attacks and feel depressed much of the time due to my unhappiness at work. I see a therapist and am on the proper meds, but cannot shake the dread of my job. It is taking a tole on my family, my friendships, my mental health etc... I cannot quit. I don't know what to do. 

I cannot leave my current job and find a new one because my field is very specialized and I have been searching for a new job for 5 years and there are literally zero openings that are full time with benefits within 50 miles of where I live. 

Frame your boss to get caught and arrested for something she didn't do.

Out if the frying pan, into the fire. The job drives you nuts, the compassionate psychiatrist comes to your rescue with the drugs to alleviate your suffering. DANGER, Will Robinson!!!

• mom

if you hate your job and another good job is 50 miles from where you live, you may not have a chose but to drive 50 miles or move closer

Join an evening class which does breathing exercises and meditation.

Maybe start applying for jobs in a similar or different field. Even if it is less money it is better than being so unhappy. Try regular exercise, eating healthily and taking EPA fish oils and a good multi vitamin to help your depression. Good luck x

What if you look for another job? Let's be real, you say that they fire people all the time, so if that's the worst case scenario why not looking for another place to work before it happens?

Look for another job, don't quit until you have another option, but remind yourself you aren't a slave here. There are more places where you can work.

Those people who apply for jobs while they already have a job, are people who are hired first. so apply for jobs!!

• Linda

Then change your field. It comes down to either stay in the present nightmare forever or take a pay cut and do something less stressful in the day and go to school online doing something that you like and switch fields. There is no easy alternative here.

• kelvin

you seriously need too quit

Get a different job.  There are always more choices available than to keep going or stop completely.  You can start looking for a different job while you are still working the one you don't like (and not miss a paycheque).  Most people fear change more than the thing they know they don't like.

Update: Sounds to me that you are unwilling to give up money in order to enjoy your life more.  It's your choice but you should be aware that that's the choice you are making.  We have been tricked into thinking that more money means a better job but you are finding out that that is a very big lie.  Unless you are actually a slave then what you do for work is ALWAYS a choice.  You just have to make a better one.