Can I mail a priority box without shipping it with the extra $$, just mailing it regular even if it takes a week in shipping?

Favorite Answer

No.   Any packages using Priority Mail packaging will be charged the Priority Mail price.

There's a reason those boxes are stamped "Priority Mail" on the inside -- so that people don't turn them inside out and then try to pay less postage. 

The boxes are "free" - but the shipping rate is ALWAYS Priority.

If you try to sneak one through by dropping it in a mailbox, it will either be returned to you or the person who receives it will have to pay the rest of the Priority shipping fee.

ETA:  Susie, you don't know what you're talking about.  

No, the USPS will not accept it for regular mail.  Basically I think since they supply the boxes and envelopes for free, they don't want people to take them and use them as free materials for mailing.

Your post office can tell you that immediately.

• Eva

No. If you use a priority box, you must pay for priority shipping. Get a plain box.

• Susie

If you take the box apart and turn the inside to the outside and tape  it back together  OR cover all of the markings on the outside that identify it as a priority box, using a marker, solid tape,  or brown wrapping paper. This is assuming the box has been used once for mailing. 

No, you actually can't. The shipping includes the price of the "free" box. I have seen people use them inside out, but that's technically fraud and I'm not sure it's something I'd risk.