Anonymous

Is it rude/ bad to ask for less than 8 hours a week at a part time job?

This is my first ever job and I’m 15. When I was hired a few months ago, my boss and I agreed on giving me no more than 6-8 hours a week. For the last couple months I’ve been booked for over 12 and it’s not terrible, I’d just prefer to stick to 6-8 hours. I feel like they may be booking me more because they don’t have a lot of employees, so is it rude to ask for less hours again? It might leave my boss looking for a new employee to cover the hours I can’t, so I feel bad, but at the same time I need less hours. Thanks for all answers :)

I often work 12+ hours per DAY. I think you can handle 12 hours a week. If you don’t think so, feel free to ask your boss to cut back your hours. He might agree, he might refuse, or he might tell you it isn’t worth keeping an employee who will only work 6-8 hours a week.

It is your life... not his... as an employee you should only think of yourself. They are not hiring a second person to save money... what did you expect. Yeah ask for 8 hours.

• Eva

It's hardly worth it to have an employee work so few hours.

• Carmen

Nothing wrong with asking though sometimes even part time employees in school may get at least 12-15 hrs weekly depending on business plus it’s a lot of people who could use the hours you’re getting so if it’s not interfering with school try to stand firm and be appreciative. 

• Judy

OK to ask, particularly since he already agreed to it. He might end up just replacing you, though.

Suck it up and work 12. Not hardly worth it for a manager to bother with someone who works so little. But bring it up casually if you want. Not in a threatening way.

It's not rude to ask, but don't be surprised if your employer decides that your services are no longer needed. An employee that requests what would amount to one working day is not really worth their time and effort to keep.

• cmac'm

You can surely ask in a nice manner. But keep in mind that an 8 hour work week makes it difficult for your employer to accommodate you and balance everyone else's schedule. An employer would prefer a part time worker be able to work 20-35 hrs a week. 

You shouldn't feel bad about your situation just acknowledge to your boss that you know it's not easy to schedule around you and thank them. 

• k w

don't demand, but in pvt on the side so no one hears, tell him to give the extra hours to someone who needs it, you prefer the time for yourself and don't want the stress.....