Can a W58 transmission mate with a 20R engine? ?

I have a 1979 Toyota Corona that I love dearly. Over summer, I blew the tranission out because it sprung a trans oil leak on the highway and killed it. I think it had a W50 in it, but I can't find any other W50 or W55 transmission near me. However, there is a W58 available, and it's at a good price. I want to know if I can save my car with this one. 

I'm also interested in seeing if I can just use the bell housing from my previous transmission to fit any other transmissions to the 20R engine. Or if the gearing rations would cause any problems considering the low power output of a 20R, especially in the winter time. I suppose it is feasible for me to swap my other Corona's 22R into it if that would make a difference. And I can probably swap the heads on them to make up some extra power if necessary. 

Call a Toy dealership & talk to the chief mechanic. He'll know.

Your best bet is to find another 73-81 Corona, a 73-81 Celica, a 76-81 Celica Supra or a 76-80 HiLux (2WD) in a junkyard and take the transmission out of them or just get the whole car.  The W58 will not mate.

• Scott2 months agoReport

I don't know. I own the only two Coronas in my city. Not a very big city, maybe 40k people here. And the surrounding cities aren't too much bigger. But I suppose I can look around to their junkyards.