Egg Custard Pie recipe...I am getting so frustrated with going on you tube for recipes and there are so many different ones.?

To no avail as I can never come up with a good one like my grandmother used to make back in the 1950's. Mine have been either watery , or the texture of the custard comes out dry and unfit to eat. Please someone give me a recipe simple and like those of the past. I am tired of buying all of these different ingredients and pies not worth eating.

I'd say the problem is not the recipe. It's your technique.

Youtube is not a great place to get a recipe from. You want a website that not only gives the recipe but also gives hints on how to make sure the recipe turns out like it should. Since you didn't say what kind of custard you're trying to make, it's hard to offer specific advice.

• denise

I make it by using shortcrust pastry for the base, bake it blind for 10 - 15 minutes.

Beat eggs, milk, sugar in a bowl together, maybe with a little vanilla, strain it through a sieve, then pour into the pastry, leaving a small space from the top, put into the oven 'carefully', sprinkle with some grated nutmeg.

Bake on middle shelf at gas 4 [sorry dont know electric equivalent] until it just 'wobbles' slightly and has browned a little.

Leave to cool before serving.