Lyndsay asked in PetsCats · 10 months ago

Why is my cat acting strangely? ?

I adopted a rescue cat (he's 2/3 years old) a few months ago. He started off being very affectionate and playful, now he's been quite distant for a week or so. Doesn't want to sit with me etc. Could this be him just settling in and becoming more independent? Or could there be something wrong? 

• ?

when my cat was a kitten he was sleeping in our bed sometimes on a headboard or sleeping on a couch headboard or whatever u call it right next to me. since he became older he never sleeps even near us, he always retreats into his own room and recently even in the walk in closet of the guest room. we call it his luxury apartment - living room and bedroom

• PR

Unless something has recently changed within the house, I would expect the cat to begin, less affectionately, and then get friendlier. If the cat has gone in the opposite direction, take to the vet for an assessment. The cat may be sick, and this is the most frequent way a cat shows illness. I would take him in, sooner than later. 

By the way: An animal distancing itself from you does not mean it is dying. Perhaps in the wild, where a predator may attack, the animal might do this to protect itself. But in a home environment, if the animal doesn't feel well, it may get quieter or go off by itself, just like we would. With vet care most things can be treated, so call the vet before the kitty gets a lot sicker. 

i would ask your vet this question

i would ask your vet about it

I think that's a sign that he's dying. most animals distance themselves when they are sick and have a disease and know they are getting ready to die. You might want to get him checked out.