Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 2 months ago

Do you have to be boo'ed off stage, in order to become a great comedian?

Hello, I want to do stand up comedy at some point in my life, however I do fear getting boo'ed off stage but I also feel that it's almost necessary, in order to become better at being a comedian. I would only be doing this as a hobby/for fun.

Do great comedians get boo'ed off stage during the early stages of there careers?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I've heard that you have to repeatedly fail before you can succeed at standup comedy.  A beginner should expect to bomb most times for a while.

• Cogito

Nowadays, people rarely 'boo' bad performers. (And it's 'booed', by the way)

They usually stay silent, talk amongst themselves or groan loudly.  Or they might even walk out.

Being a stand-up comedian is a really difficult thing to do.

I'm sure many professionals have had disastrous shows early in their careers, but it's not an essential thing to experience!

However, your material would have to be really original, genuinely funny, relatable, delivered very well and suitable for the type of audience.

You would also need to be instantly likable and engaging.

Good luck!

• Mark

It's not so much booed off in the early stages - it can happen at ANY time, any event, no matter how famous. However, in the beginning, yes, it's more common to be sent packing. Drunk audiences, mistimed or lame jokes that just fall flat. Almost anything can happen. That's when you wanna quit. But after you lick your wounds, you carry on, because that ONE time where everyone is on your side, makes the sh*t worthwhile.