Can I buy a car while being on benefits?

So my son would like to buy me a car and I would have to register it with the local council to be able to obtain a residence permit to park the car. 

Is this gonna affect my housing benefits? Is there a way to prove I didn’t pay for it? 

Would appreciate some tips.Thanks,

It should not affect your housing benefits.

Housing Benefits is based on your income and savings over £x.  So no, it won't affect your HB..

But having car (paid for or not) is expensive - you need to pay for insurance, MoT, services, repairs and that's before you put petrol in it... and if you can't afford to cover your own rent each month, how are you going to afford to run it ?

I can't imagine a reason why having a resident's parking permit would affect your benefits.  You need to be the registered keeper of the vehicle and have insurance.  But if you are on benefits, how would you be able to afford the tax, insurance, petrol, servicing, MOT and any repairs?

There will be many people on benefits who have cars, plus students who do not have jobs.

Damn parasite......................

i would talk to the people where you live about it

• Stoo

Those rules depend where you are. A car is a luxury, not a requirement in many places. So it's likely to affect free money you get. Those who get free money are expected to live at a basic level. It's probably best your son buy the car and put it under his name, plus you struggle with inconvenient parking. But the only people who can answer this are those giving you the benefits so talk about that with them.