How to become a composer?

Hello,

I have been playing the piano 15 years. What I want to get good at is to write music. I want to write things like operas, sonatas, concertos, sympohnies, etc. I know there are courses out there, but is it possible to watch youtube videos and then take come music paper and just like write, where to begin?

Thanks

In my experience, it's better to start writing without the instruction of anyone else. Listen to some pieces to get inspired, and then write away! I personally prefer to hand-write my music (I don't know why), you can find score books on amazon. Once you are happy with a piece, submit it to a competition or something of the sort (don't forget to copyright!) and viola!

Write some music.  Shazam........ you're a composer.

the spark of the divine, if you have it you do it, if you have to look for it youse aint got it

If you do not have the proper credentials (music degree, credentials from a recognized music school), nobody will take your music seriously.

• Max

You need to have a very good understanding of how to read music from classical composers. Not songs, but pieces of music that test every aspect of your musical abilities. 

You will also need to use your creativity for new music based on patterns and sounds and notes from pieces of other people. This takes experience, skill, and talent, and is not playing chords and calling it music. It is transforming the feelings and energies of old music and making it into new, original music. Not everyone can do this, and it gets better with practice if you are able to do this.

Bottom line, play pieces, become familiar with patterns, play similar transformed patterns, improvise and hear yourself play, and you got a new, original piece.

If you understand music well enough, you probably can do this at least to some degree. Keep practicing to get better for the sake of enjoying and appreciating a vast musical repertoire. Even if you aren't a composer, you can still enjoy music that you play, especially with years of practice.

Lastly, as I said, it's not an overnight thing to be able to compose. It takes patience, musical understanding, and musical creativity. New combinations of notes doesn't always yield new music, but it can if you make it yield new music.

Best regards.

Source(s): almost 16 years of piano experience; have composed before

We need more info.  You say "playing" the piano - is that 15 years or so of lessons, including theory, and a lot of legitimate piano literature/music?  Or are you counting from when you were a little kid, flailing around? Do you read music fluently? Do you have ensemble experience - chorus or band for years, in school with a certified teacher? You do not become a composer like you become a rapper - just picking up things as you go.  A legitimate composer has education, experience, and creativity.  1 or 2 or if 3 does not work.//

//

BTW - NOBODY writes music on paper anymore.  It is notated digitally. This is NOT using a program that already has their own little tidbits you paste together and then say "Look - I wrote a song!" - but programs like Finale, Sibelius, Dorico, etc. that are for NOTATION of your own ideas.  They will handle anything you can dream up. You can download Finale NOTEPAD for free to get started.  I have all my private students use.

No, it's not possible to “just watch youtube videos” and then magically be able to compose music.

To do that you need to be competent at playing the piano properly - not just playing each tune from watching videos and being shown where to put your fingers for each note, or by playing block chords with your left hand and picking out the melody with your right (that's the way some people “play”!).

If you intend writing for other instruments then you obviously need be familiar with the sound of them and know their range, what they can play, what clef they use etc.

Obviously you need to be familiar with the types of music you want to write - for example I doubt most ordinary people could recognise a sonata or concerto.

There are many things related to music theory that you need to master and I'd say that, really, you need to have studied music.

Also, you need to be creative musically. There are many great musicians who never compose anything.