A 5 meter LED strip works on 12V power supply. Do i have to up the power supply if I want to connect another 5 meter strip to it ?

Right now i have a 5 meter LED strip that operates on 12 V power supply. Now i wish to increase the length so i want to connect another 5-10 meter LED strip to the current one. Do i need to up the power supply in order to achieve it?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Your strip has two parameters:

Voltage 12V and Current  X Amps.

If you connect another strip It will still be 12V and now it will be 2X Amps.

Look at your power supply and find out if it will supply more than 2X Amps.

If you can't figure it out ask again with the Name / Model# / part# of the LED strip(s) and Power supply.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

5V DC is all that the LEDs need.  There is a DC to DC converter chip between them and power supply to drop the volts from 12V DC.

Even 100 LEDs (at 25 milliamps each) in a 5 meter strip would draw less than 12.5 watts at 5V DC.  Another strip will double that to 25 watts.  For a 12V DC supply, that is only 2.1 amps, well within its capability.

• 2 months ago

You need one more power supply to support another extra set of 12V LED chain. They are sold together.

• 2 months ago

"A 5 meter LED strip works on 12V power supply. Do i have to up the power supply if I want to connect another 5 meter strip to it ?"

If each strip is rated for 12V then the quick answer is no.  You must connect each strip in parallel across the 12V supply so they all receive 12 volts.

The issue you need to consider regarding power supplies is the power rating and not just the voltage.  This is where you might get into trouble.  You need to ensure that the power consumption of all the LED strips you connect  (add up the watts) does not exceed the rated power of the power supply.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.