Adam asked in TravelAir Travel · 8 months ago

can you upgrade plane boarding at last minute?

lets say i buy a plane ticket, basic economy so you board in the last group, but then i get to the airport, can i upgrade to one of the first few groups to board earlier for a price ? if yes do i do it at check in when i get my ticket or do i have to wait til i get to the gate and talk with the gate agent ? can you do it with american airlines? just wondering..thanks

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Only if there is a slot available in a better category.  You will pay rack rate.  No discount 

• 8 months ago

Yes it's possible, if there is still empty seats on the plane. If the flight is full then upgrading is not possible. However, even if there are empty spots in the flight it will cost a fortune to upgrade at such short notice. Not really worth it in my opinion.

• 8 months ago

American Airlines has multiple classes aboard their flights and you can always use money to get an upgrade if there is a seat available.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/experience/tra...

For example, Main Cabin Extra includes early boarding:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/experience/sea...

• 8 months ago

It may or may not be possible, but one thing you can be certain of: if it IS possible, it's going to cost you A LOT.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Generally bare/basic economy fares are not eligible for ANY type of upgrades including cabin and or boarding order.  This is true for American Airlines.  The only way you'd get a better position is if you were an elite AAdvantage member.  Only other option is to borrow a child under 2, break your leg or fake an illness 

• 8 months ago

Most of the time, their very frequent fliers have been upgraded to first class long before boarding time. If there are any seats in first class, you can buy a first class ticket, but it's going to cost more than it would if you had bought first class when you first booked the flight. On some airlines, paying a little bit more than basic economy puts you in an earlier boarding group, but not in first or business class. I don't know about American. There's no real advantage to boarding early other than if you are trying to carry on too much luggage and are worried about having space for it in the overhead bin. 

• MS
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Basic economy with American Airlines does not allow any type of upgrade, even if you pay for it.  That is made clear multiple times during the booking process.

• 8 months ago

You can if there are upgrade seats available and you're willing to pay. Often there are not seats available.

• 8 months ago

You'd need to ask the airline pre-check-in, and it woudl be subject to availability and cost.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.