Rebound asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

Why are small towns so against growth?

I've gone to small towns that were literally on verge of economic collapse and offered them business deals that would've boosted revenue by over 4,000% and saved their towns. But their response to new business and expansion is always the same: "We value our own businesses & people, we don't want any outsiders destroying our traditions." Sure enough, a few years later I find out these towns no longer have any running businesses and nearly all people have moved elsewhere.

People dont want their traditions destroyed by capitalism. They do want their towns ruled by Jeff Bezos. Even if GDP would go up some things are more important than GDP. Until there is some sort of democratic say in corporations by society as a whole then much of society will push back. 

• RockIt

So, its even a better investment opportunity.  You can have better terms and bring in your own mexicans too.

Because 'big city people' RUIN small towns. It's happened over and over again. Walmart is a good example of that ruin. Council DOES allow them to move in - and practically every 'mom and pop' store goes out of business. Not everyone  - and not every town - is willing to sell its soul for money. 

Smaller towns are more conservative, and conservatives have a harder time with change.

Well, think about it. More people means more problems such as traffic, accidents, pollution, wildlife issues, loss of valuable agricultural land, etc etc etc.  Better question is, why do people who hate country live move out there to begin with.

Because they are scared of outsiders. Outsiders are like foreigners to them. I live in a small town and have seen what you describe first hand. One city board member always says that any new businesses would cause “riff raff” to move here. Whenever a house is up for sale, he tracks the owner down and tells them they can’t sell the house to “riff raff.” 

Update: We don’t even have a gas station anymore. Or a school. The city owns the restaurant and the liquor store. That’s 2 out of the 5 business places that are left. 

• Ominous Cowherd

In one town near me, a large corporation opened a meat packing plant and had bribed the government to rezone to allow cheap apartment buildings for their imported Somali workers. Poof, there goes the decent environment for Americans to raise families.

I can understand why some country towns do not want to fundamentally change in nature, and become bigger or more populated. Their size, and their rural context, is a part of what makes them such a nice place to visit, and a unique thing.

Here in Victoria Australia there are many country towns that proactively discourage growth, through taxes among other means. And honestly, I'm glad that they do, because I want a trip into the country to feel like a trip into the country, visiting towns with exotic homemade food shops and antique stores with rare junk and just a few streets and a nice pub. That's special, and it should be preserved.

• Rebound

Sure having more residents, busier traffic, and different culture might be a slight inconvenience, but it's nowhere near the tragedy I've seen where towns literally shut down from stagnation.

How exactly is a broke and ignorant pimply teenager in any position to offer anybody a business deal, let alone and entire town?

This is clearly a pathetic attempt at deception. I don't think you know the first thing about how the world works.

I respond to rhetoric with rhetoric, and Jeff Rosenbaum wants to appeal to dialectic now?  What a ridiculous tool.

From Jeff's questions:  "Im a straight man who wants to completely asexuallize myself so I don t have to have sexuall urges ever again. How do I do that without harming myself too much?"

• Tradition Tradition... without tradition, our little town would be as shaky as ... a "Fiddler On The Roof"

America's towns and cities are zoned commercial where people ought to be living.