How come when you try to cancel an order only minutes after being placed, you are told it has already shipped and impossible to cancel?

Are companies fulfillment really that fast these days that they can instantly process orders, are there lazy employees, broken system, greedy company, etc..?

Thanks.

they try to shaft you, (the general public) - plain and simple!!!

No, they are not that fast. They want to sell it. They are hoping that when the item arrives, you will change your mind. I cancelled an order not even a full minute after ordering a couple of months ago. I forgot that it was not the one I wanted, when I was comparing - got confused. The rep was rude, insisted on sending it. I did not open it when I got it and immediately put in for a return. They tried to bribe me into keeping it, offered me $20 back. I said no. No, and more no. Finally, they had to send me a return label. It was not pre-paid. I requested a pre-paid label, since they never should have sent me the item in the first place. I told Amazon what was going on and they told them to send me a pre-paid label, or they would not sell their products anymore, and Amazon would refund me. I promptly got my pre-paid label.

• denise

Its 'Sods law' I'm afraid, then of course, it will take ages to arrive, so you can send it back!

Yes they can, that is how I can order something from Amazon Saturday afternoon and it shows up the next day.

• Judy

picking documents might have been created immediately. Once that's done, could be hard to stop it. As companies are pushed to ship faster, this happens more and more.

What do you mean by "only minutes after"?  Also, how many orders are you cancelling?  They give you plenty of plenty of ways to double check before clicking on submit.  Maybe the better question is why do they let people cancel at all?   Slow down and look at what you're doing.

I do most of my online ordering from Amazon, and they give you 30 minutes.  I've used it once in about 10 years when I ordered the wrong dog food.  Their 30 minutes was legit. 

It's the SOFTWARE, once entered, it's automatic and a live person has to go in and change something if you change your mind.

So make SURE that you want it in the first place.

Actually they are that fast when the shipping point is the same point you order from. For example, if Amazon is actually the warehouse and shipping point for an item you order, that order you entered, will immediately kick the item out into the shipping pipeline.

In other cases, the shipping source is a third party; so you'll have plenty of time to reverse, revise, or cancel the order. For example, when ordering wine through Vivino, they get the order from you and pass it on to the provider of the wine you ordered...typically the vintner. So while the vintner is packing the box your wine will be shipped in, you have plenty of time to contact them and cancel the order.

• Tavy

They have automated systems not seen by humans.

The computer processes it automatically and has no electronic way to cancel, you would have to call them to speak to a human to intervene. Nothing to do with greed laziness etc