Atheist only: What was the main reason you decided not to believe in God?

For me, it was after my dad died.

But I had doubts and questions since I was little, and rarely got any answers.

Favorite Answer

Thanks for asking.... Atheism is not a decision...Atheism is not a choice... Atheism is a realization... A discovery ..... Sometimes atheism is a discovery after struggling with Cognitive Dissonance and stressful inquiry...Atheists live in and enjoy the only life they will ever have.. The Clergy has us diminishing this wonderful life by exalting the existence of a metaphysical, Reward/Punishment Afterlife.Since God belief was not logically “reasoned into” the victim of indoctrination… It is difficult to logically be “reasoned out” .Study your religion. You may discover something...

Because in my opinion there is no reason to believe in any god, there is no proof nor anything bad that can happen from being an atheist 

I grew up. . . .

It just wasn't as immaculate as you idiots thought!

Tony has best answer

All people are technically atheists, as people think that only their God is real which means they don't believe in the other 3000 Gods, Religion is about control and wealth and sexual abuse of the most vulnerable people in society, all whilst smiling and thinking they are untouchable. 

• Cowboy

I do believe in god - not your god - my god. and all religions are false.

It wasn't like I chose not to believe. I never even heard of the concept of God until age 12 and we moved to the bible belt. Imagine hearing the claim of a God at age 12 for the very first time. I thought they were joking until I realized they were serious. At that point I was simply skeptical of their claim. Over the years, as I gained more knowledge about Christianity and religions in general, things still did not add up to the reality I knew. In my early thirties, at the request of some of my Christian friends at work, I decided I would actually read the bible cover to cover. While my Christian friends thought that would make me see their religion was correct, I had problems from page one and after getting a ways into the bible, wondered if my friends had ever read the bible because it was full of human ignorance. When I pointed out the tons of errors and contradictions and added what most people should know about existence, my friends had no good answers and fell back on it's just a matter of faith. I must have gotten through to two of them who abandoned Christianity 3 weeks later. Faith is great when you have "good" reason to have that trust. Christianity and religions in general don't have good reason to place trust in those religions and there is nothing good to trust that a "single" Being is responsible for all of this. Nature being responsible makes far more sense because nature is everywhere, both inside this universe and outside of it.

I was a precocious kid and read every science book I could get my hands on.  The very notion that an invisible incorporeal God was supposedly lurking somewhere in the Universe was an insult to my emerging scientific worldview.  I recall one Sunday school class where the woman instructor moved pretty little cardboard cutouts across a felt board and it was suddenly painfully obvious to me that I was being lied to.  At ten years old, I read in old copies of "Look" magazine and the "Saturday Evening Post" about how American POWs had been brainwashed in North Korean prison camps and immediately realized that the whole point of forcing kids to attend Sunday school was to brainwash them.  Even that young, I knew I wanted to become a scientist when I grew up and I wasn't about to let ignorant grown-ups pollute my mind with their ancient superstitious nonsense.  I soon began running away from home to avoid being forced to attend Sunday School.  

You either believe or you don't.

It's not a choice.I researched on my own and came to that conclusion.The bad behavior of the religious kind of got me started in my research.There is no god and the supposed bible god is one of the craziest, mass murdering, lunatics.The bible was written by a pack of idiots.Religion = Hate

Nobody consciously decides to believe or disbelieve in anything.  It either makes sense to you or it doesn't based on your experiences and neurology.

I was born & raised a fundamentalist Christian.  In my mid 20s I decided to join a spiritual retreat to strengthen my faith & study the bible.  I focused on the messianic prophecies and found they didn't actually exist....the gospel writers fabricated every last one.

Deeper bible study proved it developed as the Jesus myths developed.  It can in no way be from a god.

The universe on no way attests to the god of the Bible.  If you believe it requires a creator, fine.  But it provides no evidence for which of the thousands of gods created it, or what that god wants from us, if anything.

The evidence does not support the existence of a god so I don't believe.