Luci asked in PetsFish · 8 months ago

My fish was out of water! help are they gonna die?

I was cleaning the tank and while I took out the fish, I didn't notice the other fish wasn't there, And I thought I checked the fish hiding spots and everything!! I looked inside and wooshed it around........As soon as I cleaned out the tank and then found this little guy in the toy hiding spots I was gonna rinse out, I feel so bad I freaked out and got him in water and got him back with the other fish, I cleaned the tank and set up the new filter I bought, and bubbles. He is Swimming on his side and is still breathing and moving his fins... but he is just sideways. I'm so scared and nervous...... Do I let them die? leave them in the tank to maybe recover? Do I have to kill him? I'm not sure I can do that though.......

It doesnt sound too good. 

Dont kill him!, Just wait, and see what happpens, if he dies in the tank, that wont hurt the new filter, might actually help.  

You can, keep the light off, keep noise around the tank to a minimum. 

You could add a stress coat product to the water like seachems paragourd or other stress coat products.  If there are no Labrynth fish in the tank "bettas gourami, corie cat fish" you could add melafix to calm and  sooth.

Did you save any filter media "sponges, filter cartridge, from the old filter"  You Need to add that to the new filter!, if it is lying around somwere still wet, got get it, shove it in the new filter!.

Good luck!

It's a bad sign if he's swimming on his side. The only way to help make it better is to turn the tank on its side - but you need a very close fitting lid to be able to do that without the water spilling everywhere. 

Source(s): PhD Aquaculture

Swimming on his side is a bad sign...not much to do but see what happens.