Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

How do I respond to this prof??

We were exchanging emails about a lost assignment and how it dropped my grade, so I was lucky that he found my assignment and gave me credit for it. My grade is now 2 points away from becoming and A so I emailed him back a thank you for finding the assignment and asked if there was anything I could do to fix my grade. I honestly feel like this response was very rude and I don't know what to write back. 

1. This is for a freshman intro class... we were only graded on attendance and busy work

2. I had a perfect score on every assignment except for 1, which dropped my grade

3. I had no idea what grade I actually had until the last day when he finally updated our scores

4. The exact way I worded my question asking how I can fix my grade was

"Is there anything I can do to help makeup the last two points?"

5. I just have no idea what is the best way to actually respond to him

Your professor wasn't rude. You were cheeky in asking for some sort of extra credit. Sometimes that works out, sometimes it doesn't. This time it didn't. It's ludicrous to have the brass neck to ask for extra credit and then suddenly come over the delicate flower and act all offended when you are rebuffed.

If, as you are now trying to suggest, that wasn't what you were after but just some advice on how to improve your work to make good on whatever assessment might be left, then you can send an email to apologise for the miscommunication and ask that question. "Is there anything I can do to help makeup the last two points?" certainly sounds more like trying to get an already fixed grade bumped up than improve on a future one.

Even as far as asking for extra credit goes you didn't phrase it well. Your question was too vague and can be interpreted as an attempt at a bribe so was bound to get a particularly blunt response.

You may have had full attendance and just messed up one assignment but you were marked on the same basis as everyone else in the class. Some of them are probably close to grade boundaries and wishing they'd got better marks too. There's nothing that makes you a special case who should get an opportunity for extra credit and the professor has to be fair to everyone in the class. It's also very open to abuse as soon as professors start getting into giving extra credit or bumping grades as favours to particular students. There have been a number of scandals around just what some young impressionable female students have had to do earn such special treatment. It's good that your professor is very clear about treating everyone equitably and not getting involved with special favours.

There is nothing more annoying to me than a grade grubbing student.  The professor already fixed your grade.  You should have tried harder and earned an A.  I usually ignore emails about getting free points.

If I understand you correctly, your prof misplaced your paper, dropped your grade, and then, after he found your paper, graded it and gave you credit for it.  What is it that you think needs fixing?  And why do you think you deserve an "extra chance?"  

The appropriate response would be something like "Wow, you're right.  It would be unfair and unethical for you to provide me with an advantage without offering the same opportunity to all the students in the course."

This isn't about you and it isn't rude.  It is about the ethical standards expected of professors at universities.  Your chance to "fix" your grade was presented to you on the first day of class -- do the work and score well enough to earn the grade.

College isn't 2nd grade.  Extra credit and make-up tests aren't common.  You're luck that your professor found your lost assignment and awarded you full credit for the work you did on it -- some wouldn't.  

• Lizzy2 months agoReport

He never entered in any grades until the last day. I just don't understand how me asking for help to make up the last 2 points on my grade is "unfair and unethical"

• Laurie

What do you mean by “fix” your grade? Is there an error? 

Otherwise, you got the grade you earned, and there is nothing to “fix”. 

Your problem is your self-centered train of thought, and THAT is what is rude.  

Look at it from HIS point of view: If he allows you to do an extra-credit assignment, he must - if he is to be fair - allow everyone to do an extra-credit assignment. Why should he grade 30 extra assignments because you didn’t perform as well as you hoped?

• Lizzy2 months agoReport

Please read the updated version of my original post. I did not explain the situation clearly. I've been so stressed out about how to respond and I've just had such a  challenging semester and all I want is some help

It was extremely rude of -you- to ask him to "fix" your grade, since the grade you got was the grade you earned. 

I don't see how his response was at all rude.

Email him back, thank him for taking the effort to find the lost assignment, and apologize for your misstatement suggesting that it was somehow his responsibility to allow you to raise your grade beyond what you have earned. 

If he's the jokey sort, you can add that you would, of course, be thrilled if he were to offer the entire class an extra credit assignment. If not, just leave it at the apology. 

• Lizzy2 months agoReport

The exact way I worded my question in my email was "Is there anything I can do to help makeup the last two points?"
      I tried to ask politely because I have been genuinely been struggling this semester.
      I did send a huge thank you for finding my assignment and I really just need advice on how to

Asking to "fix" your grade was rude & presumptuous on YOUR part. The response is not rude in the least, but is honest & to the point. Apologize to the professor for your "misstatement" in using the "inappropriate & misleading word 'fix' " as you only meant what might you do to earn the points required to aim for an A. Apologize again for "the misunderstanding I created." 

Also be sure to thank the professor for going to the effort to find the lost assignment & allowing it to be graded. (Even if the professor lost the paperwork, apologize anyway as he did go to some trouble over this.)

You weren't asking what you could do to improve your work- you were asking how you could raise your grade. And he's right- you've had the same chances as everyone else in the class. Can you think of a good reason why he should give you special consideration over all the other students in the class? It wasn't a rude response at all, and you shouldn't respond. Leave him alone. He's tired of you constantly emailing him anyway. 

• Lizzy2 months agoReport

I only sent a total of 2 short emails. 

"Yes, please offer it to everyone in the class."

Send him a second email, say you just re-read that email and apologize that you didn't mean to say "fix" the grade but was there something you might do, perhaps for extra credit, to get the last few points for the A.

• Lizzy2 months agoReport

The realize now that the way I worded my original post came off entitled. But my original question in the email was "Is there anything I can do to help makeup the last two points?" I genuinely need advice on how to even respond