Why is my PC lagging every few seconds when I'm gaming?

So I've had this gaming laptop (Dell G3 15) for about 6 months now and up until now it has run every game I have played on it with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Recently, however, I have been having major issues when trying to play games. Before I mention anything else, let me give you the specs for my laptop:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @2.20 GHz

RAM: 8GB

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti

Storage: 1 TB HDD

So as I was saying, I have played games, such as Rainbow Six Siege and League of Legends, at their highest graphical settings with absolutely no problems. No lagging, no frame drops, nothing. In the last few weeks I have tried playing both those games but each one lags every 5-7 seconds.

At first I thought it might be my RAM, but I quickly threw that idea out because League of Legends is not very graphically intensive and these random moments of lag occur across all my games (Graphically intensive or not). Then, I thought it might simply be my graphics card, but even after turning all my graphics down to the lowest settings in all my games, the lag was still there. After that, I believed it might be a virus or one of the apps I had recently downloaded, so I factory reset my laptop thinking that would help. But nope. Lag was still there.

I have now run out of ideas and have no clue as to what might be causing this problem. If anyone has any clue of what may be happening here, please let me know as it would be greatly appreciated.

• YKhan
    Favorite Answer

Install MSI Afterburner, it can display realtime statistics while you're playing the game. You can see what gets maxed out during those times you get the frame drops.

Follow the instructions in this video about how to setup Afterburner to show how to display those stats.

Installed any new programs lately?  Running in background?  Loaded on power up?

Updated Windows and then this started?

Disconnected from Internet completely?  Wireless turned off, cable unplugged and still lagging?

Any utilities you don't need while gaming like disk defrag, printer status, some browser open?

How much open space on HDD?  Must have at least 25%.

Source(s): My Dell 2012 model R 15 3521 touchscreen Win10 with i3 chip, modest RAM and integrated video is not for games, but I keep it cleaned up so it always runs fine.
  • Lv 7

when was the last time you defragged your hard drive? how about the last time you ran chkdsk with recovery?

what speed is your internet?

any other users on your network? do they watch Netflix or other streaming media?

• I defragged my hard drive right after i factory reset it. And I have not run chkdsk but by HDD is in good health. I have used my laptop on both a network with a 160mbps speed and one with a 200mbps+ speed. Problem was still present on both networks even when nobody was using streaming services

It sounds as though there is something running in the background.  Which is either going to be something you've installed or if you are using pirated software, it's probably caught a virus or a dozen!

• Jay

Because it's a dell