Where is the super speed usb port located at on a computer tower? Mine is fairly new.?

I need to get transfer speeds quicker with by portable hard drives since they have large files on them.

Blue colored tab inside a faster USB 3.0 port.  If none, you can install a PCIe 1X card that has those faster ports.

Fastest would be a USB-c or Thunderbolt 2 or 3 port.

But at other end of cord, that external drive must have fast technology to match.

Some desktop towers have expansion space for adding a drive.  You can put in an SSD and link to a SATA 6 Gb/s port on motherboard.

Source(s): Just upgraded an older tower with new SSD.

A new computer should have all new USBs in it I seriously doubt that a new computer is going to be using the older hardware

Every USB port has a little plastic 'tongue' in it.  If the tongue is blue, that's a USB 3.x port, and that's the fastest port you can plug a USB drive into.

If not, USB 2.0 is not that much slower.  Go have a beer or something.

• doolas2 months agoReport

The device manager showed that my computer had two 3.0 USB ports. I also saw that two of my ports were blue. I plugged into them and my speed transfer was much faster. Thanks!

• Roddy

Every maker uses different designs for their tower computers and even different models from the same maker will tend to be laid out differently.

Not all computers, even very new ones, will have USB 3 ports.

Any USB 3 port(s) will usually be found at the end of the row of USB ports and may have an extra symbol to show it is 'high speed'.