Which gun should I go hunting with?

I’m going deer hunting this year and I have 4 rifles I can take and I can’t decide which one. Mossberg Whitetail Lightning(.270), Remington 700(7mm-08), Mosin Nagant(7.62x54r), or a Mauser 98(8mm Mauser)

The Mosin and the Mauser are iron sights, but the Remington in the mossberg have scopes  

• BBean
    Favorite Answer

All the named rifles will get the deer. The Mosin and Mauser need to fire hunting ammo instead of surplus military ammo. There are several reasons other than "Just kill the deer" why hunters choose certain tools otherwise a Savage Axis .30-06 (or equivalent) would be issued by the state game commision under a dictatorship-like government.

Why would a person choose a black powder rifle? That`s one of those "if you have to ask...you wouldn`t understand the answer anyway" circumstances.

I have an acquaintance/hunter that loves his $200 Mosin 91/30 that is scoped with polymer stock, that travels across several states, who can well afford anything he wants, but for some self-satisfying  reason feels a challenge to hunt with the Mosin.

A 70+ year old Mauser with 180-200 grain round nose hunting rounds (in the right hands) will hang in there with most modern rifles. Which, BTW, is another "if you have to ask..."

The Mossy and the Remington are unquestionably fine deer rifles and probably more economical and socially acceptable in most `old school` hunting cliques. Also, the Pawn shops are full of them and hunting guns are a buyer`s delight and many priced below WWII surplus rifles.

I don`t understand why you have to ask total strangers to be honest..if it were me, I would just grab the nearest one if I were that undecided. What were your thoughts when you bought each of them?

You should use a .22

• Joe, poor little joe, it;s time to grow up, it's time to stop, it's time to remember you told us that this wasn't you doing this, now we all know it IS you due to the emails yahoo sends us. Stop Joe, grow up.

The Mossberg or the Remington.

• Quinn

Take the one that you shoot best with.

I would take the Remington 700 in 7mm-08.

Well, I can't decide for you, one of the scoped rifles would be a priority.

Personally, I would go with the .270, but I think the Remington would be a tad lighter to traipse the wilderness.

Guns are banned. No need to use them.

Take the rifle that you are the best shot with. 

Source(s): Why was this even a question - Author Unknown

Remington 700 (7mm-08) 

She is more stable for long shots.