Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 months ago

Should I use "mistress" or "madam"?

as a counterpart to Mister. "mistress" seems to be the actual counterpart, but... maybe "madam" is better?

Update:

I know that normal people don't use these words, but I'm asking from an autistic point of view...

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

The difference between mistress and madam is that mistress is a woman, specifically one with great control, authority or ownership while madam is a polite form of address for a woman or lady.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

An autistic point of view??

Long ago, the woman of the house was the mistress, abbreviated Mrs.

Meaning was lost with the passage of time.

Now mistress has another meaning.

The "counterparts" are:

mister - Mr.

misses - Mrs.

miss - Miss

mizz - Ms.

Use madam, the counterpart of sir.

We normally use ma'am, a shortening of madam.

Source(s): USA
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Mrs. originally stood for mistress. The pronunciation changed to "misses" because it's easier to say. "Mistress" today is most commonly used to refer to a married man's outside girl friend. It is not used as a form of address anymore, even if you're autistic. "Madame" is French for "Mrs." The word "madam" is sometimes used for a female pimp so it is inadvisable to refer to a woman as a "mistress" or a "madam" unless you're on firm ground. However "madam" is sometimes used as a polite form of address to a woman whose name you don't know, as "sir" is for a man. However it's usually pronounced "ma'am," at least in the US. E. g. "Excuse me, ma'am, is this seat taken?"

• 8 months ago

I am not sure whether you really mean Mister or Sir. 

Mr. Jones and Mrs, Jones if she is married, Miss Jones if she is not, or Ms. Jones in business. 

Sir and Madam are correct together. 

Mistress is old-fashioned and never used. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

In the US: You can use Mrs. [pronounced "Missiz"] if you know the woman is married, Ms. [pronounced "Miz"] if you don't know or don't wish to indicate her marital status, Miss to an unmarried woman or a child [although "Miss" is gradually passing out of use except in rural communities or small towns]. Ms. plus the woman's last name is standard in business. Madam is used to address a holder of high public office [Madam President, Madam Secretary, Madam Ambassador, etc.] Ma'am is an old-fashioned abbreviation of Madam, but is still appropriate in some cases [such as a child speaking to an adult, or anyone to a female monarch].

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Mistress is rather outdated. Madam is more accepted nowadays.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

use mistress if you are speaking to a dominatrix and madam if you are speaking to a woman who runs a brothel.

• 8 months ago

You should not assume gender.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Mr. and Ms. was the safe one, but I don't know if they changed it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.