Is it proper on my part to offer a peg of alcohol to drink to my friend's daughter on her 18th birthday?

Will it be considered that I am encouraging her to become addicted to it

Get her drunk and then you can do what you want.

I believe most parents prefer to introduce their kids to alcohol themselves. I'd back off that idea and keep a friend.

In most (not all) places it would be illegal as your giving a substance to someone who is not of legal age.

There are places where 18 is the legal drinking age.

It is proper? That's a different question. If legal, she's an adult and if she wants it, that's fine. Forcing it on her or giving it to her underage would not be considered proper.

• PAMELA

You may, just have the party alcohol free to be on the safe side, if you are in the uk she is legal to drink at 18.

If you do, it's only legal to do inside your own home.

I don't know what a “peg” of alcohol is!

If you are thinking of offering her an alcoholic drink then it would depend on the context. If your friend's daughter was having a party where there was a licensed bar and she was drinking anyway then I don't see much wrong with offering to buy her a drink.

On the other hand if you just called in at her home to deliver a card or present, offering a swig of brandy from your hip flask might not be considered “proper”.

I don't know how you encourage someone to “become addicted” to alcohol.

Yes she's too young.