Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender & Women's Studies · 2 months ago

How can I defend myself against men?

I'm a 23 year old girl. I'm 5'9 tall and weigh around 107 pounds. I'm physically very very weak and I find men intimidating. I feel unsafe around men because I can't overpower anyone. How do I protect myself.

Favorite Answer

Learn martial arts and fighting techniques to defend yourself. Go to the gym, practise weight training and gain weight. 

You are too skinny, please gain weight and stop thinking about your looks.

I am a rape and abuse counselor for over 25 years. Sorry to say there is nothing you can do to completely protect your self from a man or anyone else. You can cut a lot of bad guys out of your life, by doing things. Carry a pepper spray watch or ring.  You can learn some info about how to spot bad guys.  Every rape and abused person I counseled said they felt some thing funny about the guy or person who hurt them. As long as a 8 months. to as soon as 5 minutes.  And almost all could have gotten away, if they listened to that iky feeling not to trust the person. What helps, is you could be completely wrong, or partly wrong, does not matter. If you feel iky, until you find out why, do not allow your self to be alone with the person. It could be as simple that he lied to you, like what kind of job he has, if any.  He is not married, and he is, or has a girlfriend. or he lives with his mom or dad.  Or he does drugs, or abuses Alcohol.  Not that he is abusive, or will rape you. But something tell you not to trust him or another person. A person or man could subconsciously remind you of someone else who hurt you before.  His hair, cologne, or the way he dresses. My neighbor had a break down when a visiting priest who had blonde hair, and a black bread. It turned out she was raped when she was a teenager, by a man who had blonde hair and a black bread.  My point no matter who the person is man or woman, what kind of clothes they wear, if they make you feel iky, stay away from them. As for protecting your self. Stomp on their foot, poke eyes, with your knuckle, hit in the side of ribs, or under armpit. Punch  brag, or kick the mans balls, or penis.  Then run.  

Learn how to fight and take martial arts to defend yourself.

Just as women are scared of men's physical strength, men are scared of women's unpredictability. Relax, the worst is in your mind. There isn't a sane man alive who would overpower or rape a woman because of the draconian consequences. Plus, only a psychopathic monster would do such a thing. Most men are cool dudes.

• Piero

Get a little self defense training. I dated a 5' tall grandmother that weighed 90#. She was proficient with nun-chucks. She knew where to stomp and kick. I never feared for her safety.

Learning self defense is a must for any girl wanting to feel safe. However, it is very important to choose the right course. The class I took was very intense, we learned all sorts of things from awareness/avoidance to basic and last resort techniques. Our female instructor told us we are going to learn some brutal stuff, but we must not be squeamish, self defense is not a pretty thing. She also explained us some very important point. Girls cannot compete guys on strength but can be trained to excel in specific techniques designed to explore guys natural vulnerabilities. When fighting back in a serious situation you need to inflict an incapacitating injury, fast without warning. Even a petite girl can take down a strong guy with a right method. Testicles, eyes and the Adam's apple are the men's Achilles heel. Our instructor told us several successful self defense stories when a potential victim fought off a male assailant. In one case the assailant lost one of his balls thanks to a well executed technique also taught in my class. 

Take classes in assertiveness.  I am 5'3, estimated weight 98lbs. You need some weight. I am not afraid of men but I am respectful yet assured of myself.  Be more assertive. You are not weak.

You couldn't defend yourself physically against most women either. So don't think of this as a woman vs man thing. Fact is... most men are no threat to you at all. NONE. The overwhelming majority of males have no more interest in overpowering you than they have with you overpowering them. But how do you protect yourself against that one guy who proves to be a physical threat? You would react the same way if you came upon a rabid dog. You scream for help and run away.

your boyfriend will protect u, that is if u have one

Gain around 300 pounds and no man will even glare at you, In fact most men will avoid you.

It is still legal in the United States to carry a fire arm.