Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkNon-Alcoholic Drinks · 1 month ago

What should or could I do to help my mom?

alright so my mom has been sick for a couple days and she went to the hospital last night and they ran a couple test and her sugar level was really high. I believe the reason is because she’s been drinking a lot of soda(coke-cola) the past couple year because that’s her favorite drink ever since she was little. So I was thinking if I should try and keep sodas away from her but I don’t wanna take her favorite thing from her  so would maybe 1 soda a week could help. Any suggestions 

give her a mop and a broom for a gift and tell her to get hoppin'!!

Diabetics or people with pre-diabetes really need to stop drinking and eating foods which contain sugar. They also need to stop eating foods which raise blood sugar levels - such as grains (cereals, bread pasta, baked goods, crackers).

Most processed foods contain either sugar or grains -- pick one, and none of this is good for a diabetic.

Fruit is also something to limit drastically. A banana can raise a person's blood sugar levels dramatically about an hour after eating it. So fruit could be limited to berries which aren't high sugar fruits... and eaten moderately - once a week? Fruit juice is horrible for a diabetic as well. It's loaded with sugar.

The best way of eating for a diabetic is very low carb.

• denise

Cutting down on the sodas could help her, but she needs to see the doctor to be referred to a nutritionist to have a look at her overall diet.

High blood sugar levels are usually associated with diabetes. I'd assume that she will be given advice, including dietary advice. 

The causes of high sugar levels in the blood are many including being ill, stress, lack of exercise and overeating. 

I'd say that, unless you have medical qualifications or you know for a fact that her consumption of these drinks is the cause of her problems, you leave well alone apart from helping her follow the advice that she has been given by professionals familiar with her condition. 

Don't become the mother or the jailer. Remind your mom that sugared soft drinks are making her sicker, and that you would like her to cut way back on them. Offer to get some sugar free drinks (I drink Splenda Coke) to see if she likes them. But your mom needs to take care of herself, not be taken care of by you. You can always say how much you would miss her if she keeps up her bad behavior.

Why not try diet coke? Make it real cold or use plenty of ice.

She is obviously diabetic and needs to take charge of this HERSELF! And drinking coke is not what caused this.

• Cammie

She is not ill because of the soda, she is ill because she has diabetes.With out diabetes, she could drink 75 regular sodas without incident.

Help your Mom with several upcoming doctors appointments and with diabetes education and seeing a dietitian.Help her with learning what she needs to keep healthy.Diabetes does not take a break.

Try sugar free drinks for your mom.

switch to diet coke