Kush asked in SportsFootball (American) · 2 months ago

Should NFL strip NFC east of hosting the wildcard or strip them of their playoff rights ?

It’s highly likely that 8-8 will be enough to get one of these teams into the playoffs, and there exists a possibility that 7-9 might even do the trick.

The newly crowned champion would then host a playoff game against a wild card club with a superior record, likely the San Francisco 49ers or Seattle Seahawks, a team that will possibly be sporting a 12-4 or even 13-3 record.

While I do believe a division winner, even a poor one, should still qualify for the playoffs, I offer a solution. The NFL should decree that you have to have a winning record in order to host a first-round playoff game. You 

Otherwise, a “bad” division winner should have their seeding flipped with the best wild card team, who would then host their first round matchup.

This idea, and variations on it, aren’t new. It’s just finally time to make a change.

There’s really no drawback to this, except if NFL old heads want to argue that it defeats the purpose of divisions. But it really doesn’t, because at least the division winner still gets an invite. Hey, I’d even be fine with the NFL going solely to conference standings and letting the six or eight best teams into the playoffs.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Adam D
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

See, I feel the opposite.  I don't think a wildcard should get an extra perk for being a strong wildcard.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

There not the division leader get into the playoffs at a 4th seed even as a 7-9 record but I think the NFL should reconsider any divisional  leader team with a losing record shall not make the playoffs if another wild card team has a better season record that deserves it 

• 1 month agoReport

LASER FACEBOOK, TWITTER, YAHOO AND MICROSOFT TILL VANISH.
      Google "Danny Woo Vk" in Bing for book of life, A science book that dont exist in human world

They keep cheating public about God even knew book of life is a science book but dont get lasered till vanish.
      ALLAH cannot forgive himself..How?

• 2 months ago

It's a shame that they get a home game for winning the division, but that's the way it works. This isn't the first time that one division is significantly weaker than everyone else.

• 1 month agoReport

Google "Danny Woo Vk" in Bing for book of life, A science book that dont exist in human world

They keep cheating public about God even knew book of life is a science book but dont get lasered till vanish.

• 2 months ago

Everybody knows the rules at the start of the season.Don't like em change em at the start of the season.I would be all for  some change in the rules but not at any time in the middle of the season.

• 1 month agoReport

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In 2010, Seahawks won their division at 7-9, then won a first round playoff game.  If they can win with a record like that, ANY team can.

• 1 month agoReport

• Bob
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, they should not,and they won't do it because while what you say is true this year, it is something that very seldom happens so it's not that big of a deal.

• 1 month agoReport

• Mike W
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I think I understand why the league is set up the way it is.  Two conferences with 4 divisions each.  It keeps the fans more engaged, and spending more money on the product, if they believe that their team has at least a 1 in 4 chance of making the playoffs.  They don't have to be the strongest team in the conference, just the strongest team in their division, and the wildcard is there to get strong teams in strong divisions into the playoffs too.  Occasionally a weak team, in a weak division will slip by, but it doesn't happen too often.    

• 1 month agoReport

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.