Why did you name you children what you named them?

Spiritual meaning?

To carry on the family name?

First thing that came to mind when the nurse asked for the name?

• PiK
    Favorite Answer

1st Child

Hubby had decided, as a 12 year old boy, that IF he ever had a daughter, he'd name her April.  He got the name from watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoons.  I preferred the name Jane and I totally took it from a cartoon as well, from Daria.  We had chosen family names for middle names for each possible name.  Then my husband asked me one day when I was about 8 months pregnant, "If it's a girl, what are you going to name her?  April?  Jane?" and I responded with, "Yes, April Jane is the perfect name."  So that's what we named her, April Jane.  (Just an FYI- she was due in February and born in February and has absolutely nothing to do with the month.)

2nd Child

I read a lot of Beatrix Potter growing up.  She was an amateur backyard scientist and wrote such enchanting stories based on what she observed in her yard.  As a kid, I also watched a lot of reruns of old TV shows, including The Honeymooners.  The main characters of the show were Ralph and his wife Alice and their friends Ed and Trixie.  I kind of fell in love with that name, Trixie.  It wasn't until I was older that I realized Trixie could be a nickname for Beatrix.  Beatrix is also the name of Uma Thurman's character in the Kill Bill movies and is a former queen of the Netherlands.  When we were looking for a middle name for Beatrix, we had a lot of trouble picking one.  My husband decided for whatever reason that her middle name had to begin with the letter H.  I suggested my grandmother's middle name, Helen, then my BFF's name, Heidi, but Hubby vetoed those ideas.  Then we looked up the meaning of Beatrix.  Beatrix means, "bringer of joy."  We thought the most joyous time of year was Christmas time, so we started looking at names associated with the holiday.  We ended up naming her Beatrix Holly.

We named our son Michael. He is Michael ____________ the 6th.

The challenge was finding names that my husband liked and that sounded English enough to make him happy.

I named my first son Joseph Patrick = mom is Patricia

I named my second son Dana Gates = Gates is a family last name.

As an afterthought i thought i'd rather name Dana, Dorian

• Tulip

I just picked what I liked

• Rick

Our oldest boy got the family name but the rest we thought-up ..........