Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Could legal action be taken against a person who has spread a sexual rumor about someone at work?

A girl who I stopped dealing with apparently told people at work (big warehouse) that while her and I were messing around that I came in my pants and all that junk. The “news” spread like wildfire (various people told me) and it has put some damage on my reputation. What action can be taken?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

unless you can prove it hurt you financially there is nothing you can do.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Only if the rumor can be proved to be untrue.

You came in your pants?  Big deal. 

Damaged your reputation?  Get over yourself.

• 1 month ago

No, it's hear say

• 2 months ago

You have suffered no damages to sue for.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

In the legal realm, what she did was not a criminal act, so the police wont get involved. Rather it could be considered a civil violation. This means you would have to sue her for slander (or libel if she spread this rumor via email or in some other printed medium). To win your case, you would have to show that she did say these false things about you, what she said was false, and that her saying these things caused you some damages. 

Those "damages" don't have to be physical damages with dollar values set. Damage to your reputation is considered a valid damage. Assigning a dollar value to such damage could be tricky.

The hurdle you will face is arguing in court that what she said was false. You will claim you didn't spoil your jeans, she'll claim you did. The courts consider those arguments as he-said she-said arguments and for the most part assumes all such claims as unproven (either way). You will need some sort of evidence beyond your mere claim that you didn't soil your jeans. Proving a negative is never easy.

Your best course of action might be to speak with your (or her) supervisor about the matter and hope that your employer will find a suitable resolution to the issue.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You can sue her for damage to your other impeccable reputation and for monetary loss.

You would need to PROVE that what she has said was untrue.

• 2 months ago

You can sue for defamation, but proving it is nearly impossible and if you did you would then need to prove you didn't orgasm in your pants.  And then proving how the rumor damaged you equal to a sum of money would be very hard as well. Of course bringing the suit in a public forum where reporters could write stories about your suit (which will likely be called frivolous) would also not be in yours best interest. Sometimes you just have to move on.

• 2 months ago

This is why you don't get romantically/sexually involved with co-workers.

AKA don't sh*t where you eat.

• 2 months ago

Nd Thiss is why i don't fck around sexually with co-werkers ..... 

• 2 months ago

You would have to sue her for Defamation in court. And to prove that she defamed you, you would have to prove that you don't.  

Just take this as a good lesson as to why you don't mess around with people at work. 

When you lose, don't lose the lesson.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.