Is a hand mixer or stand mixer better for baking?

When baking things like cakes or cupcakes, is it better to use a stand mixer or hand held one quality wise? I read that hand mixers apply more stress to the batter which is good thing, but doesn’t a stand mixer do the same work?

• Mark

Generally, a stand mixer, but if it's frosting, probably a hand mixer.  My mother had a very interesting appliance that was both a stand mixer AND a hand mixer.  You detached the top if you wanted to use a hand mixer.

Bithhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• A stand mixer is better. Hands can become tired using a hand mixer. It is less stressful. The batter will be more refined. 

A hand mixer is better when making cakes.  Unless you are making a crap load of cakes.  Both can be used for the same task, but a stand mixer is capable of more than a hand mixer could really ever hope to be.  Hence the price difference ($25 vs $250+)

maybe a stand mixer is

I'm not sure there is any difference in the batter if the hand mixer is used properly. There is a difference in the baker. A stand mixer or a food processor is pretty much effortless to use in baking (cookies for the processor). A hand mixer requires constant attention, and must be moved throughout the batter several times to be used.

If you are doing large amounts or heavy batters or dough the stand mixer is easier. Notice I did not say better. 

Stand mixers can over mix a batter or dough and this can develop more gluten. In cakes and cookies that is not a good thing in bread dough that is a good thing. 

It is really easy to over ship cream and egg whites using a stand mixer. Particularly if you leave it to do something else while you leave the mixer running. 

Both have pro's and con's

• IvaB
      1 month agoReport

The world is a ghetto,these two morons are proof ! LMAO I mean,there are no too bigger morons than these two. LOL I really am rofl, 

It doesn't matter which you use. I have never heard of 'stress to the batter', whatever that may be, from using any kind of mixer. If you mean over-mixing, that could happen even if you mix by hand.

Stand mixers are useful because they are more powerful than hand mixers and can therefore be used for heavier jobs like mixing bread dough, and they are also useful because you don't need to be right there the whole time while the batter or dough is mixing. That may encourage you to mix long enough with things that need long mixing, since it's less work with a stand mixer. That's the only way a stand mixer may help make a superior product. You could achieve the same thing with any other mixing method if you have patience and enough muscle.

i would just try them both and see and then you'll know

The only advantage of a stand mixer is that it can have much more power.  For mixing cake batter you don't need a lot of power, in fact you could probably do it with a whisk. 

We have a big, heavy stand mixer that I use only for kneading bread dough. 

When stand mixers were new, when they first became a thing, they had a 'power take off' on them where you could attach a pasta roller, a sausage grinder, a coffee grinder, etc.  They were sold as a 'system', the way today we see food processors, a multi-purpose tool.  Unless you need that big 1/4 hp or 1/2  hp motor, there's no advantage to a stand mixer over a hand mixer.

• Karen L

I'd venture that most homes didn't have them. I know that my mother didn't even get a hand mixer until about 1964. I never even knew stand mixers existed until until about 1975, and certainly no one I knew had one then. They were a bit of a luxury, then as now.