I drove my car on second gear for 5 kilometres.   Would it do any damage?

My friend and I drove my Nissan Versa 2008 a few blocks until I realized it was on 2nd gear.   Would that cause any damage?

• zipper

Most likely not at all, just be more careful in the future. Did you not hear the transmission wining in low gear?"

• Jay P

That depends on the engine speed...  If you drove it near or at redline the whole time, some damage may have occurred.

No. Not unless you were over 6000 rpm's

Depends on how high the engine rpm got. That depends on how fast you were going in 2nd gear. 

FAIL Lay off the mj when you drive. 

The transmission would be run hotter, possibly stressing the fluid. That wasted a lot of fuel.

You can drive your car in second gear all day long as long as you don't exceed the RPMs that's safe for your engine a good cruising speed for a second gear would be for on your tachometer I wouldn't make it go any higher than that.

i would hope not, maybe you should have a mechanic check it out

• Mark

No, it will not.  Drving long distances with the brake on will, but only to the brakes.

Most likely not.  If you were going 120km/h you might over-rev the engine, but you'd hear it and know there was something wrong.  But at 50km/h you probably wouldn't be overstressing the engine.

When I was learning to drive,  years and years ago, in a manual-shift car, my dad (who was teaching me) asked me 'Are we going up a steep hill?' I said 'No, why?'  He said 'Are you pulling a trailer?'  Again I said no, why?  He said 'Because you're in third gear!  You've got one more gear to go!'   8^)

• Dze

wont hurt anything as long as you werent going really fast like 90 lol ... just cuts your gas mileage way down im sure ..